cheap/good printer recommendation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm taking a college class soon but my current printer is on the downslide - it also takes very expensive ink (HP deskjet).

Is there such a thing as a good, basic printer that doesn't take expensive ink? Copier capabilities wanted, Wi-Fi optional, but nice.

Thanks!

I have a cannon 5320 (pixma) wifi and all that jazz...and can get non branded ink. I got mine price matched a few years back at an office depot, but at an amazon price, so I would start at amazon and once you think you like the printer....look for generic ink cartridges and do your price research on those too before you buy!

Since you're selling, you might look at getting a laser printer instead of an inkjet. All the makers sell inkjets incredibly cheap; I guess they make their money on the cartridges. Lasers cost more upfront, but the operating costs are supposed to be a lot less in the long run.

At least, that's how I justified my Brother Laser printer when my old HP inkjet started acting up... I got the HL-L8350CDW. It does text really nicely, but photos are not quite as good as with my old ink slurping printer. It wasn't cheap... in 300 range if memory serves but replacing all my old ink cartridges was going to be a hefty chunk of change anyway. It's big and ugly, the lights dim when it prints, installing it onto the network was a pita, and it's loud. It is really fast though, very reliable, the toner seems to be lasting forever, and text looks fantastic on it.

I have a fuji xerox 205b and a cm215f. The 205b cost about $30 and the cm215f was around $300. The 205b is just a b&w laser printer and the other is a colour laser multifunction printer. The toner i can get on ebay for under $10 and it lasts for ages. I use it almost everyday and i get probably 6 months out of a tonner cartridge

All I will say is use laser instead of inkjet - those inkjet cartridges cost a fortune and dry up if you don't use them. We have a networked Brother Laser printer at home and buy a new toner like every 16 months or more, so its more than paid for itself that way. I switched our office to networked laser instead of individual ink jets and we have saved a fortune. If I need color prints I just to to Kinkos or Mailboxes etc.

Actually I don't sell, but printing instead of handwriting ingredient labels would save a lot of time! Normally I don't need to print anything for weeks at a time and often wondered how I could be our of ink so quickly, so it's very enlightening to hear that ink can dry in the cartridges.

You guys are wonderful! I'll look into the laser printers you suggested - sounds like after a year or so the ink savings will pay for the extra cost. Thanks for your help! :smile:

Latest posts

Back