Charlie soap

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

G

Guest

It is fantastic front load washer detergent . I know that is not the answer you wanted :wink: I tried to figure it out and couldn't quite get it all.

Kitn
 

jarvan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
728
Reaction score
6
Location
Southeast Wisconsin
Kitn,

I have a front loader and the only soap we have been happy with is Tide powder for HE washer. Have you noticed this...liquids make the washer stinky. Powder is the only way to go.
 

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
1,661
Location
BC
I am so allergic to Tide that if something has been washed in it my skin starts burning as soon as I put it on. The only laundry detergent I can use is Cheer or Amway....go figure....
 
G

Guest

jarvan said:
Kitn,

I have a front loader and the only soap we have been happy with is Tide powder for HE washer. Have you noticed this...liquids make the washer stinky. Powder is the only way to go.

I have noticed liquid do that to the washer and also find that the liquid makes facecloths smell when wet when freshly laundered. Liquid builds up in the washer too, and leads to mold. I made cp laundry soap and that is fine in the front loader and the clothes are clean.I shred it , let it dry and put it through the food processor.
I really did like the Charlies soap and I hope I can figure out what is in it , you only use 1 tbsp in the front loader and the clothes were clean. There are no additives etc in the Charlies either.

Kitn
 

carebear

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
7,714
Reaction score
72
Lindy said:
I am so allergic to Tide that if something has been washed in it my skin starts burning as soon as I put it on. The only laundry detergent I can use is Cheer or Amway....go figure....
my son is terribly sensitive to Tide also - turns out it's the enzymes that turn the little guy all red...

I haven't tried Cheer, but we can use All and Purex - basically anything cheap. Fragrance and color have no impact.
 

jarvan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
728
Reaction score
6
Location
Southeast Wisconsin
I will have to look for the Charlie Soaps. I never heard of the stuff before and wonder it if is "soap" or just detergent with washing soda.
 
G

Guest

The story about how the company came to be and how it has survived was very interesting to me.

Kitn
 

lovethyscent

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 1, 2009
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Location
MI
The site says Charlie’s Soap is really a blend of natural-based surfactants (detergents) derived from coconut oil, treated with a product of natural gas (real soaps are treated with caustic soda or pot ash), and salts in water (Laundry Liquid) or pure Green Mountain washing soda (Laundry Powder).

We make our own, because I can't stand the scents in detergents & I wanted to go detergent free. It's the recipe where you shred your soap and cook with water and add washing soda and borax. Works out really nice.
 
G

Guest

jarvan said:
I will have to look for the Charlie Soaps. I never heard of the stuff before and wonder it if is "soap" or just detergent with washing soda.

You can only buy Charlies Soap online . They have a US and a Canadian site.

Kitn
 

Vinca Leaf

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
356
Reaction score
0
It's local to us, so you can get it at places like Whole Foods.

We do cloth diapers, and I tried Charlie's. There is a horrible chemical reaction when you convert from regular washing soap. If you switch between loads "regular" to Charlies, you will continue to have that chemical reaction. So, be prepared to go all the way and do all your laundry with it. I, for one, won't use it. It took more than a dozen washes to get the stuff out of my son's dipes.
 

Vintageliving

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2009
Messages
232
Reaction score
3
Vinca Leaf said:
It's local to us, so you can get it at places like Whole Foods.

We do cloth diapers, and I tried Charlie's. There is a horrible chemical reaction when you convert from regular washing soap. If you switch between loads "regular" to Charlies, you will continue to have that chemical reaction. So, be prepared to go all the way and do all your laundry with it. I, for one, won't use it. It took more than a dozen washes to get the stuff out of my son's dipes.

What is the chemical reaction that happens?

Thanks very much!
 

Latest posts

Top