Charcoal soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
I have a question about mixing charcoal powder for soap. When mixing the charcoal into the oils do I take some out from the measured amount for the soap to mix the charcoal in or do I use an additional amount of oil for that purpose? I k ow I’m supposed to mix in the charcoal after I got some trace, but I’m not sure if I’ll ruin the soap if the subtract some oil the the amount then add it back during the trace stage. I hope you can understand my confusion.

I mix my charcoal into a bit of the oils from the batch. Or glycerine. Either will work. I've also added it directly into the batter with no problem.

I usually mix my charcoal with a little distilled water, just to make a thin slurry.
I sometimes add charcoal powder directly to the batter.
Occasionally I will do both (make a slurry and add to the batter directly).

The black "paint" used to paint Winnie and Piglet (a soap painting I did for an earlier SMF challenge) was made by adding charcoal powder to soap batter.
These salt bars were made using distilled water to mix the charcoal powder.

I usually mix my charcoal with a little distilled water, just to make a thin slurry.
I sometimes add charcoal powder directly to the batter.
Occasionally I will do both (make a slurry and add to the batter directly).

The black "paint" used to paint Winnie and Piglet (a soap painting I did for an earlier SMF challenge) was made by adding charcoal powder to soap batter.
These salt bars were made using distilled water to mix the charcoal powder.

Oh cool, thank you

I HP and I add my charcoal to a lil bit of water that I reserved from the amount of water called for in the recipe.

I sometimes feel that even if I use extra water, that very small amount won't make much difference, especially if I cure the soaps for more than the 4-6 weeks..

I'm the rogue, I blend my charcoal right into my oils before adding the lye. I haven't run into clumpy charcoal yet.
Yes, or they use black mica.
If I am making an overall charcoal soap I do the same and it blends in just fine into the oils. Problem is it usually is not as dark as I want so I still end up adding more into the soap batter

I too like @amd put my Charcoal in with my Oils and Sb'd them before Lye was added............ not I have only made one batch of this and it is still curing :) I did use the end piece which didn't seem like there were any clumps or scratchies

I'm the rogue, I blend my charcoal right into my oils before adding the lye. I haven't run into clumpy charcoal yet.

Yes, or they use black mica.
I am assuming it just get sprinkle on top of soap with other soap poured onto it?

I haven't made an all black soap but that's what I'd probably do if I did..

So far, the way I do it, gave me several stone looking soaps, like marble n granite hehehe

Latest posts

Back