Charcoal Lines - Messy Sides

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesteaders

Reaction score
I like making layers with activated charcoal pencil lines, but the sides are awfully messy. I use a wood loaf mold. I've tried different ways of cleaning, but none have worked great so far. I was thinking about placing a thin piece of cardboard along each side after pouring each layer, before dusting with the charcoal. Then remove them to pour the next layer, and place again for the charcoal. I'm not sure this would work, though. I've cleaned the inside of the mold after doing the charcoal lines. Maybe the mess is coming when I pour the next layer. ??? How do you do the lines? Thanks!

Any chance you've just tried to wipe the sides down with a wet piece of paper towel? Activated charcoal tends to get everywhere, but in my experience it wipes up pretty easily with a wet cloth. Although, I do note it tends to stick to silicone more than any other surface.

Do you line your molds with freezer/parchment/wax paper? It should wipe off those pretty easily.

Anything you put along the sides will pull/push the soap when you take it out. It could look nice, but that doesn't sound like that's the kind of look you're going for.

Hi Kari. Thank you for responding. I found that using a damp sponge with the green scrubby side helped quite a bit -- it removed enough so that the charcoal did not come off on hands or a wash cloth, but it still looks kind of ugly on the sides. Acceptable, but not pretty. I line my molds with freezer wrap and it does wipe off easily, but I still end up with a mess on the sides of the soap loaf. That's what made me think that it poofs up the sides when I pour the next layer. I usually do hot process, so it kind of plops rather than pours. :) I was thinking of placing cardboard along the sides while dusting with charcoal to keep it away from the edges. Maybe that will be enough to keep of from going up the sides. Or maybe I should switch to cold process. :)

I think it is far easier to plane the exterior of the soap after you cut it. This is what works for me. I really think inserting and removing the cardboard multiple times would just cause more blurred AC lines on the exterior than if you just leave it alone.

ETA: I just saw two new posts above mine that I didn't see when I first opened this thread, so did not realize it was for HP. Yes, I do think the texture of the HP is causing the particles to 'poof up' more, as you say. And maybe I mis-read your intent for using the cardboard, not as inserting down the entire side of the already poured soap, but more as a guard you hold with one hand while pouring with the other.

Perhaps you could try a very light misting of rubbing alcohol on the pencil line to moisten it so the particles will stay put when you pour the next layer. Even so, I'd still go for planing the soap after cutting to clean up the exterior.

Last edited:
It's worth a try, but I'm not sure how you'll keep from having an 1/8" white border on the side where the cardboard covers the soap as well as the side.

The two times I've made pencil lines, I've just planed off the messy sides, or washed them off.

Thank you both! I will probably end up planing the soap down the road. BrewerGeorge, I would remove the cardboard before pouring the next layer, so both the charcoal and the soap would still spread to the edges. The idea is that keeping the charcoal away from the edges as I pour the next layer would prevent it from poofing up the sides. Maybe not. I will give it a go with my next batch and see how it looks. Might buy or make one of those jigs for planing. I'm not smooth enough with a potato peeler. :)

I found that using a damp sponge with the green scrubby side helped quite a bit -- it removed enough so that the charcoal did not come off on hands or a wash cloth, but it still looks kind of ugly on the sides.

For sure try just a wet paper towel! Or a wet microfiber cloth. The sponge might be too holey/cratery to get a really clean side. Just as a sort of process in case you need help:

1. pour/plop first layer of soap
  2. dust top with activated charcoal
  3. wipe sides with wet paper towel, multiple times if needed
  4. add next layer of soap
  5. dust with activated charcoal
  6. wipe sides
  7. repeat until your mold is full.

I agree with the others that planing is another way to go! I had to wait nearly a month, but I got a cheap planer+beveler off ebay for $8. It works surprisingly well for the price.

Yep, your method is exactly what I was doing, but still ended up with a mess. When I bang the loaf on the counter to remove any air bubbles, the charcoal sometimes poofs up, so cleaning the edges isn't helping much. Switching to cold process for these soaps would probably help. It might have been the paper towels I have, but using them damp to wipe the bars only smeared the charcoal. Okay, since I really like the look of charcoal lines, and since the charcoal is so wonderful at removing smells from hands, I will get a planer/beveler. You all have convinced me! :) In the mean time, I'll try the cardboard.

Maybe you are using too much charcoal?
I find I have to put a really thin layer of AC down and wait for it to be wet up by the soap below then gently pour the next layer over a spoon. Not sure if that will work with HP but it it’s really thick I’d spoon it on and press it down).

If your AC layer is too thick the layers will separate.

Thank you, penelopejane. I do spoon the soap, but I think it's happening because I have to plot it in the mold. I've never had a problem with the layers separating, though. Once I tried blowing the excess off after letting it sit on the first layer long enough to wet, then wiping the sides of the mold, but the charcoal line wasn't noticeable in most of the bars.

The only other thing I can think of is to try isopropyl alcohol to wipe the sides down rather than water.

Lines in soap are difficult.
I finally got a perfect cinnamon line technique going and my son said don’t do it again because even that tiny amount is too scratchy for his delicate skin!

Ahhh. Great minds think alike. I just tried using alcohol on a paper towel on one bar and it cleaned up beautifully! I was just about to post when I noticed you had just suggested it. :) I haven't cut the rest of the log yet, so I'll try it on that.

Just cleaned up 3 logs with pencil lines. With alcohol it only took a a few minutes for everything. Much faster than planing and looks nice and neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried spritzing your mica line with rubbing alcohol? That's what I do with my mica lines to keep them from "poofing" up on the sides.

Latest posts

Back