Charcoal & Lavender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We're definitely nowhere near 100% better around here (I'm on the mend, now DH has it) but I HAD to do something soapy or go crazy this past weekend. I've been meaning to make a charcoal soap as I have none left from the last batch. I'm really happy with this one.

The lather is a little bit on the grey side so I could probably drop the amount of charcoal a bit (1 TBSP ppo) and I'm not sure if the lavender showed up to the party (our sniffers aren't working at the moment) but I'm happy.

20190218_131009_HDR.jpg 20190220_072854_HDR.jpg

That is a lovely color! May I post a pic for comparison? I just made my first charcoal soap and cut it yesterday- I used 1.5tsp PPO, the color isn't as rich (also didn't gel so may be a factor). The lather is seems pretty white, maybe a hint of grey to it.

I love the look @Misschief. I made a charcoal batch this last weekend with lemongrass, I used 1 tsp. PPO. I am happy with the colour and tried a easy taiwan swirl for the top but it didn't turn out that great, passable but not great. I made them for the husband who loves lemongrass. He is lucky I love him as I can't stand lemongrass. Used my respirator so I didn't have to smell them while making the batch. :)

We're definitely nowhere near 100% better around here (I'm on the mend, now DH has it) but I HAD to do something soapy or go crazy this past weekend. I've been meaning to make a charcoal soap as I have none left from the last batch. I'm really happy with this one.

The lather is a little bit on the grey side so I could probably drop the amount of charcoal a bit (1 TBSP ppo) and I'm not sure if the lavender showed up to the party (our sniffers aren't working at the moment) but I'm happy.

View attachment 36581 View attachment 36582
Thats pretty. Simple and elegant!

Nice! I just made African soap and used activated charcoal for the first time, and they came out purple. I am still scratching my head....

Nice! I just made African soap and used activated charcoal for the first time, and they came out purple. I am still scratching my head....
I find that unless I put a tiny touch of black oxide in with my charcoal, it comes out anywhere from grey, slate steel, or yes, a purplish color.

Love the elegant blackness of the charcoal. Mine are the same deep color using 2 rounded tsp per ppo of coconut carbon powder. Mine never gel either. Must be the charcoal preventing gel.

lol here is a pick, but I made the yesterday, so the color might still change.

I wanted them to be all a deep rich black, so my mistake might be that since they did not look black, I decided to add some black oxide... it was expensive (at least for me) to make, so they will have to do.

SAfrican SOap.png

Latest posts

Back