changing soap bases in recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krystal klyne

Reaction score
Good morning all. I am very new to soap making and found a nice recipe online. I wonder though if changing the base from say Glycerin m&p soap base to organic m&p soap base was ok?

Are you making it from scratch or just buying pre-made MP? The only difference between what you are calling glycerine MP and Organic MP is the organic is made with organic oils. They are still considered what people call glycerin soap (MP).

Thank you for your reply.
I have bought pre-made MP. Basically, I used Argan oil soap base to make a shampoo and it made my hair super greasy. And now wondering if the change to organic would be ok without changing any other parts of the recipe.
Then I was trying to find online some MP recipes for Organic MP base but couldn't find any at all which made me wonder if it was actually possible to change the recipes MP base to Organic?

"...if it was actually possible to change the recipes MP base to Organic?..."

I gather you are thinking Melt and Pour base is somehow different than Organic base?

If so, please listen to Shari (shunt). She is correct -- products labeled as organic are essentially the SAME as products that are not labeled as organic. That's why you are not finding any special recipes for "organic" Melt and Pour soap.

Here's an example -- You can buy certified organic black tea and conventional (not certified organic) black tea. They are both black tea. You don't treat either one any differently when you make a pot of tea, do you? Or do you have a special recipe for brewing tea from certified organic tea leaves?

Same with M&P that's made with certified organic ingredients versus the same M&P made with conventional ingredients. Either product would be used the exact same way in a recipe.

An organic certification doesn't make any difference in how an ingredient is USED, the difference is in how the ingredient was produced.

No I am not thinking that it is different just because it is organic. Forget organic. Can I change shea butter MP base to Argan oil MP base on a recipe that i find online?
Sorry, I don't think I explained myself very well. Is it ok to play around with different bases in the MP range or should I stick to what the recipe says?

I think we are confused by what you mean by changing a recipe for MP base. If you are using a premade base and not making your own MP soap from scratch, do you mean you are adding ingredients to the purchased base? If so, what and how much are you trying to add? Or are you taking MP soap base and adding it to water or something else to make a liquid product (shampoo)?

If it’s substitution you are talking about, I think you can substitute one MP for the other. The skin feel and aesthetics of it might differ.

For example substituting clear MP soap for a white base MP soap won’t look the same, might not even feel the same because they might likely have different ingredients but the general idea of what you are trying to achieve might work out the same.

Don’t be afraid to experiment, you might just stumble on something awesome. Just experiment in as little batches as it is safe to do. For CP 1lb is good for MP, one little bar will do.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Yes I was meaning substitute not change. I made an Argan oil shampoo bar from a MP recipe but it made my hair super greasy. I found that what it is good for though is my skin so I am now using that as a soap.
I am going to experiment a bit now and see which MP base is good for use in a shampoo bar

Thank you all for your replies. Yes I was meaning substitute not change. I made an Argan oil shampoo bar from a MP recipe but it made my hair super greasy. I found that what it is good for though is my skin so I am now using that as a soap.
I am going to experiment a bit now and see which MP base is good for use in a shampoo bar

Are you making your own MP then? I'm still a bit confused. If you're using a pre-made base you can buy whatever type you'd like. No soap is going to work well as a shampoo, the PH is too high and you risk ruining your hair. Some are able to use soap but many more cannot. I'm one who had my hair ruined because I read it was great for hair. Ended up having to cut it all off.

Krystal perhaps you could post the recipe here for us, so we can get a more accurate answer to your question?

Yes, you could substitute any MP soap base for the Argan Oil soap base. Can you post a link to the soap base itself? If you have short hair it's not a big deal, but if you have medium or long hair I strongly advise you not to use soap as shampoo.

Maybe look at a base that is specifically shampoo, such as this:
https://rusticescentuals.com/Shampoo-Bar-Base.html

1lb Argan Oil soap base
2tsp castor oil
1tsp shea butter
Essential oil

That is a ton of extra oils for a mp base and its using heavy oils. Most bases only recommend 1 tsp oil for a pound of base. I would try a lighter oil too, sunflower is good for hair.

In all honesty though, any lye soap, even mp has a high ph which can damage hair. If you really want to use mp on your hair, I would search for a detergent based one, not a soap based.

Yes, you could substitute any MP soap base for the Argan Oil soap base. Can you post a link to the soap base itself? If you have short hair it's not a big deal, but if you have medium or long hair I strongly advise you not to use soap as shampoo.

Maybe look at a base that is specifically shampoo, such as this:
https://rusticescentuals.com/Shampoo-Bar-Base.html
I’ve tried this and it’s no better than soap unfortunately. I made several and ended up tossing them. Someone may have luck with it but me and my daughter didn’t like it at all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back