Changes, changes, changes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, it looks like I will be moving.

I accepted another position inside of IBM. It is based in Monroe, LA. So at some point in the next couple of months, movers will come and pack up my apartment and I will drive 1000 miles South.

Now the move does not scare me - but living in the south again - in a area that is definitively not a metro, that worries me. But better living there with a job than the uncertainty of a position up here.

So I guess we will see how it all works out. But I have to find a place with down there with enough room to soap! Haha.

From the posts that you've written that I read, you are a pretty positive person- glass half full kind of guy. Attitude about change is essential. Before the brain tumor and other medical stuff, little changes would frustrate me to no end. How dare life interfere with my day!! Now, every day is a blessed adventure, and I say bring it on!.

Your life's book will begin with a new chapter; congratulations. Will you be able to scope it out for a few days before you officially move?

Welcome back! Though I do feel bad for you moving to the Deep South during the SUMMER. They should have moved you in winter so you could enjoy a mild Southern winter, gorgeous spring before summer, 100% humidity and mosquitos.

If you are a pet owner, this year is shaping up to be a bad one for ticks and fleas. You may want to get your pets on some kind of meds before you move.

Kchaystack, although I don't envy you the move, I am happy that you have a stable job with a reliable company.

One thing about moving so far is it can certainly provide an opportunity to re-evaluate one's possessions. We moved 2000 miles a bit over a decade ago and purged so much prior to that move. I expect the same will happen with our next move, although I really don't know when that will be for us, but Hubby wants to leave as soon as his mother no longer needs him.

Monroe is supposedly the 8th largest city in Louisiana. I did not know that. But 50,000 people as opposed to living in the State Capitol in Michigan does sound like a big adjustment. Still I am pretty sure you will do just fine with that great attitude of yours!

Congratulations on your new job opportunity.

Monroe is not so bad these day, truly! I lived a couple of hours southwest of there most of my life (Alexandria, LA). It is also a couple of hours from Shreveport, LA and Jackson, MS (lived there 5 years), both of which are much more metropolitan.

Congratulations! Changing your life around can be such a challenge, but I do hope it goes well for you. By next winter you should be settled in to your new job and home and thinking about how smart you are to have moved somewhere that doesn't have snow.

Best wishes on your move! I spent several summers in Louisiana with relatives (a couple of hours south of where you're moving) in a house on the Bayou Teche. Beautiful kayaking, listening to katydids every night, craving cajun food and drive-thru snowcones... good times. Everything is done at a little slower pace. But you can get turduckens for Thanksgiving. Mmmmm, turduckens.

To get ready... make sure to watch some Tennessee Williams!

I don't envy you the move but as others have said, your attitude and outlook will make it easier on you. Plus, it's a move you're choosing, not something being forced upon you so that's a positive thing. I wish you all the best!

Latest posts

Back