Change of seasons...Humidity😐

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandSoap

Reaction score
What can I do to protect my soap— cured and curing— from humidity. They look like they are sweating😳. I know the obvious— get them out of the humidity.. but right now we do not have the air conditioner in. Any tips/tricks that the experienced here have? Thanks in advance.

If you have access to a Dollar Tree, they have these containers of humidity control beads. I can't think of the name right now, but they carry them in the section where they have the closet items like hangers and dusters. Ask the cashiers or the store manager if you've never been in one. It'll be a revelation!
The sweating will go away on its own, btw. I had that when I lived in El Salvador. All my soaps would sweat after the first week of curing, then about after the 4th week or so, it would stop. It would come back if it would storm really hard but they'd dry punt by morning, and no harm done. I had them on a wood cutting board lined with parchment paper on my open porch, covered with same parchment paper. That was it. Nothing else to protect them. I wasn't selling them so aesthetics wasn't a concern but they never stained or were changed in color due to the weeping.
I hope that helps.

I live a house without air conditioning too. I run a dehumidifier in my soap dungeon (which is the only place my soaps are stored, whether they are curing, or packaged for sale), and I run a fan 24/7. I actually turned the fan on today because I noticed I was emptying the dehumidifier daily.

I moved the soap racks downstairs to the basement with the dehumidifier, put the racks in a large box along with a large container of Damp Rid. Hope that does the trick. 👍

Just a note about my soaps. Well.. the Damprid really did not help... but after 2 days of “ sweating soap”, the humidity dropped and the soaps no longer felt oily. No discoloration, nothing😊.( and the air conditioner went in). Also I noticed that my soaps that I had used the shrink wrap on did not sweat .. they stayed solid.. so I have a lot of wrapping to do now that I am off of work for a few days.

Back