Challenging fragrances?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
At what point have you deliberately gone for a fragrance for your soap that has reviews warning you that it can be challenging to work with (accelerates, rices, may seize, etc) either in a fit of mad scientist insanity or as a simple challenge to see what skills you can develop?

I have a couple that have reviews warning of acceleration that I haven't tried yet but I think I ought to soon!

I have just used an accelerating fragrance to give the ombre gradient challange a go. Worked a treat.

Accelerating fragrances are not bad, as long as you know ahead of time, and plan for them. Ricing is easily stick blended into submission. Discoloring ones can be used as a design element. I do not use ones that cause soap on a stick intentionally.

The first batch of soap I ever made, I used an FO from a craft store that was meant for M&P. It was a large batch, almost 6 pounds(not sure what I was thinking!). Everything was going well until I put that FO in. Within about 30 seconds, I had thick mashed potato soap. I worked quickly and hand packed that stuff into my molds. It actually turned out to be good soap.

I have tried a few from Brambleberry that say they accelerate and or may cause ricing, but they were nothing like that other FO. As long as you aren't planning on doing elaborate coloring, you still have plenty of time to work with it.

Latest posts

Back