Quantcast

Challenge threads

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Primrose

Reaction score
Heya,

Is it at all possible to have the challenge threads (sign up and entry) put back up at the top of the forum as the little banner thing?

Or - if you cant have two and want the soapmaking friend one to stay - could challenges maybe have their own sub-forum (ie. Soap Challenges instead of being under Lye-Based Soap Forum)

I am finding it very hard to keep track of finding them, I dont always realise they've been posted and if I miss them on a certain day, they might disappear down the line quickly when using the "New Posts" tab. The entry thread is particularly difficult to keep track of if you havent entered yet but want to keep an eye on the entries.

It just seemed simpler when you could click up the top of the page for them!

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Both are up there, I can see them and clicked on them.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Primrose I have the challenge threads alternating with the soap calc on the banner at the top. I'm on my computer, so I don't know if it is the same if you are using an app.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
No, they are not there at all on my laptop and have not been there at all at any time this month. I am using FireFox. I just checked using MS Edge and don't see them there either. There is no scrolling from one message to another. This message is constant.

This is what I see on FF:

top banner FF 2018Nov25_001.JPG

This is what I see in MS Edge:

top banner FF 2018Nov25_001.JPG

As you can see they are exactly the same.

Edit: No apps used by me. It is the same on my tablet as well and I don't use an app on it either.

Attachments

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I checked both Edge and Chrome and I get this. It changes every 3-4 seconds.
calc.JPG challenge.JPG

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On mine, it switches between the two and below the header, there are two tabs, one for each of the headers.

Screenshot.jpg

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder why for some it scrolls and for some it does not. I will check my settings, but I don't remember turning off scrolling as being an option.

No, it's not an option that I can see. I wonder if it is somehow linked to another option of some other name?

I did just notice the little 'x' at the top right corner of the soapmakingfriend announcement and discovered I can close the announcement. But the ones you guys are seeing with the challenge threads still don't appear. Of course I probably just closed those INVISIBLE announcements off anyway, which doesn't really matter since they were not visible anyway.

Last edited:

Primrose

Reaction score
Problem solvered!

I must have "dismissed" the challenge notices at some point, accidentally

I went into my account preferences and clicked a box that said "restore dismissed notices" and now I have the two tabs above. They dont automatially scroll, but the tabs are there for me to click on

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm on my tablet, they both are on there permanently, no moving from one to another. It's the same on the pc, we have explorer. They are always there, when it gets put up.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Problem solvered!

I must have "dismissed" the challenge notices at some point, accidentally

I went into my account preferences and clicked a box that said "restore dismissed notices" and now I have the two tabs above. They dont automatially scroll, but the tabs are there for me to click on
I will look for that option and see if that fixes it for me, too.

Well that is very interesting. If you look at my screen shots above, you will see there were no tabs below the notice and only one notice showed. That's still the same one I see on my tablet and on MS Edge because I haven't refreshed those yet. But having just done what Primrose did, I now have this with tabs that weren't there before:
top banner FF 2018Nov25_002.JPG

And it scrolls (which is likely to give me an ocular migraine, unfortunately.) I wish there was a way to turn off the scrolling. Does activating the links present a problem when it scrolls?

Last edited:

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Super cool. Now I can turn off only one of those annoying scrolling messages and keep the other one active. That's wonderful. NO worries about an ocular migraine anymore. I had no idea!

Thank you, Primrose, for bringing this up. I would not have learned this if you hadn't.

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oooooh! I dismissed one too.

Thanks Primrose :)

... could challenges maybe have their own sub-forum (ie. Soap Challenges instead of being under Lye-Based Soap Forum)

I am finding it very hard to keep track of finding them, I dont always realise they've been posted and if I miss them on a certain day, they might disappear down the line quickly when using the "New Posts" tab. The entry thread is particularly difficult to keep track of if you havent entered yet but want to keep an eye on the entries. ...
I really like the idea of a Challenge sub-forum too - it makes sense to be in addition to the Lye or Melt and Pour forums, as they have some cross-over, depending on the challenge.

I mean, it's all soap, but to have a place for challenges ... that would be something!

Primrose

Reaction score
SF that's something I'd thought about previously, before your excellent thread linking them all. If they were grouped together in their own sub forum it would be easy to find them again