Celery in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikvahnrose

Reaction score
How does it react in soap?

I always seem to buy celery and never use it. So let's make soap with it! Who here has experience with it and what were the results?

A jelly roll pan? I will have to look into what that is.

But i like the idea of chopping it, freezing it and using it for later use :]

But i still want to make soap with celery, so might as well find out!

I haven't used celery, but I'd treat it like any other fruit/veggie: blend it up and strain it, freeze it, and consider it part of my water. I like to prevent gel on fruit/veggie soaps due to extra sugar, but that might not be necessary with celery since i don;t think it has very much sugar in it.

Celery is a wonderful source of sodium. I've never used it in soap, but I always include some in my daily smoothie since I grow it in my backyard. If you soap it, just make sure to blend it and strain it beforehand as Snappyllama said. Let us know how it goes!

mikvahnrose said:
A jelly roll pan? I will have to look into what that is.

Another word for it is a 'cookie sheet'. It's basically just a flat, rectangular metal baking tray.

IrishLass :)

I have not used celery, but I do recall reading about it sometime in the past. Celery has a very high water content, but the fibrous strings would be undesirable in soap, so grinding it up to a very fine liquid, then straining out the fiber would be best. Then use it in place of water in your lye solution.

Here is one link about a celery soap. Although, I am pretty sure the green tint one may get from celery fades over time, as most botanicals do, so I would add another colorant to keep the green color if desired.

I also saw it used in a body scrub, if you want to find additional uses for celery. Here is a link to a chapter in an ebook with some recipes using celery. I have never tried it myself. I do make body scrubs sometimes, but don't use them very often.

Me, I prefer to use it making SOUP. I make soup from scratch all the time (not a big fan of canned soups) and celery is an important ingredient in soup, for me anyway.

I'm in a team "freeze for soup". :)
But I'm not a fan of foods in soap anyway, I can't see it's benefits after knowing lye's probably changed it.

I usually buy celery that comes in a bunch, as in whole plant, lasts for ages. Probably a whole month lol.

Yup, it goes into one my my soaps. Does it add anything great probably not, but I use it with several other, mostly for label appeal. I never advertise it as doing anything other than cleaning. I put it a blender or bullet puree and strain out the strings. If someone finds the strings in soap they may think it is hair. Whether it adds any hardness I would doubt it even though celery does contain sodium, but my bar is a brine bar so I have no way of telling if it makes a difference with hardness.

I dry celery leaves all the time and make celery salt with it. I use it all the time to savor soup, eggs, anything. When I make my salty sailor salt bar I use the celery salt in the soap so it has pretty green flakes.

Latest posts

Back