cedarwood

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
does anybody use this gawd awful scent? don't mean to offend but egads that stuff reeks. I got a sample of it and was thinking of just doing the sample bottle in a whole batch of soap to see if it was diluted if it wood smell better? I also gpt a sample of sensuous sandlewood which isn't quite as bad to me but not a whole lot better. but I have a friend who really loves it, maybe I just need to let her smell it. I did enjoy the sample pack though--I got some nice scents that I would never have tried otherwise

Is it an FO? My teenager loves Cedarwood EO, and I make his neem soap with it. I've blended it with others also, think it gives a "deeper" dimension to the scent.

I notice they smell better once in the soap coz the stuff in the bottle is really strong.

I've smelled sandalwood chips loads and it's nice. Haven't sniffed a fragrance of it though.. The red one I have is different and doesn't smell like much hehehe

Is it an FO? My teenager loves Cedarwood EO, and I make his neem soap with it. I've blended it with others also, think it gives a "deeper" dimension to the scent.

I notice they smell better once in the soap coz the stuff in the bottle is really strong.

I've smelled sandalwood chips loads and it's nice. Haven't sniffed a fragrance of it though.. The red one I have is different and doesn't smell like much hehehe

I believe its an EO, thanks for letting me know it smells better in soap. what did you mix it with?

I believe its an EO, thanks for letting me know it smells better in soap. what did you mix it with?
Darren's neem soap has cedarwood, rosemary, and lemongrass and a very small dash of spearmint. I just now remembered I have another soap that has lavender, tea tree and eucalyptus with it.

I have to check my notes and see what else I've blended it with..

Darren's neem soap has cedarwood, rosemary, and lemongrass and a very small dash of spearmint. I just now remembered I have another soap that has lavender, tea tree and eucalyptus with it.

I have to check my notes and see what else I've blended it with..

Thanks Dawni!!!

The cedarwood orange soap I make (and love the smell of) is:

58% Orange 5-fold
25% Cedarwood (Virginian)
17% Dark Patchouli

A more earthy-smelling blend is:

60% Bergamot
15% Dark Patchouli

Another blend that I created and has been a huge hit is:

30% Dark Patchouli
20% Cedarwood (Virginian)
20% Amyris
20% Peppermint
10% Spearmint

Like you, I'm not a huge fan of smelling cedarwood out of the bottle (smells musty to me), but love it in blends.

The cedarwood orange soap I make (and love the smell of) is:

58% Orange 5-fold
17% Dark Patchouli

A more earthy-smelling blend is:

60% Bergamot
15% Dark Patchouli

Another blend that I created and has been a huge hit is:

30% Dark Patchouli
20% Cedarwood (Virginian)
20% Amyris
20% Peppermint
10% Spearmint

Like you, I'm not a huge fan of smelling cedarwood out of the bottle (smells musty to me), but love it in blends.

Excellent pairings. Bergamot is the “always-a-bridesmaid” EO. Everybody loves it but they often can’t quite identify it. It goes with just about everything and makes it better. I’m not sure it would do super well as a “star ingredient.” Plus, it seems to have gotten more expensive, at least on the sites where I shop.

my bottle just calls it cedarwood and it smells like burning wood to me. I do have some 10x orange and some bergamot/honey FO. I was just going to do a chunk soap with cedarwood as the chunk. I am going to try a little mix of all three and see how I like it. I wished I had some spearmint, I like how it mixes with scents I dont really care for. thanks Daryl and Angela you've given me something to think about :)

I use cedarwood (virginian) EO in nearly every soap I make, there's usually at least a titch. I actually like to smell the bottle but my wife crinkles her nose. I would never use cedarwood alone, as @DWinMadison says, it'd would be like a tuba solo (nothing against tubas!). I really like bergamot/cedarwood blend.

Latest posts

Back