Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people use hemp oil in their CP, but I think most of the qualities that people are looking for in a CBD product would not survive the saponification process. If you're wanting it to have the best chance of still being around/active in the finished product and you're married to the idea of making a soap and not a leave-on product, I think the hot process method is where you should look. You'd have to make up your base with low or no superfat and then add your CBD oil to the finished soap after the cook. There's still no guarantee that it'll be only the CBD oil that's your SF, but it's really the best chance you've got.

If you want any sort of beneficial affects from a product such as CBD or certain essential oils, you would be much better off using it in a leave on product. If you simply MUST have soap, consider HP rather than CP as indeed, I doubt it would survive the lye and subsequent gel phase.

Costwise, it would be a total waste. I use hemp oil in soap and it creates fabulous bubbles and lather, but CBD is another thing entirely.

For one thing CBD oil is at least partially saponifiable, because the isolate is dissolved in an oil, often Fractionated Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, or perhaps another carrier oil. So obviously the CBD oil will be at least as saponifiable as the carrier oil. I don't know for sure what the lye will do to the remaining cannabinoids, but lye is a very powerful alkalai and tends to alter whatever it combines with. Therefore what's left of the CBD oil after it meets the lye, is not likely to be of any therapeutic use. And even if any of it remained, as in if added after saponification was complete, like in a hot process method or a re-batch method, it is still only a WASH-OFF product.

For CBD to provide any therapeutic effect, soap is simply not a viable delivery system.

references:
https://www.marijuanabreak.com/cbd-oil-ingredients
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2689518/

Another thing to consider:

After hearing from enough people who have used CBD for medical conditions such as epilepsy, chronic pain, insomnia, neurological issues, I've learned that messing with CBD oil is far from safe. There is much research still needed before people should start self-treating with CBD oil. (Of greatest concern is ingesting CBD oil, more than topical applications)

If you don't pay attention to anything else I say, at least take away these three things:

1) There is a massive inconsistency of quality, active ingredient, contamination, and level of standardization amongst CBD oils (depending on supplier). Massive. As in - some people aren't getting anything beyond the tiniest fraction of active ingredient = paying a ton of money for almost nothing. Then there's contamination issues..... FDA regulation has not caught up with this so it's almost a free -for- all out there! Reminds me a lot of the essential oil craze, only with the potential for greater harm.

2) CBD oil can decrease the therapeutic effects of some prescription drugs that includes some high blood pressure medications, blood thinning medications, and others. You must have a CBD educated doctor or qualified pharmacist help advise you on possible drug interactions if you decide you want to try CBD oil!

3) The strength of the dose is vital to success, and safety! There must be batch certification confirming the strength you receive.

By no means do I want you to NOT consider CBD us, but you need to do a lot of research - and finding responsible, scientific research is difficult!

I know a very mentally disabled man who barely had the mental functioning of a toddler, and suffering from 20+ seizures a day despite the maximum dose of typical seizure meds. His sister had a Ph.D in neurology; did months of research and starting giving him CBD oil (the real stuff, standardized and appropriately dosed for his size). His seizures were greatly reduced; but the most spectacular difference was his increase in ability to interact! It actually helped improve his quality of life to a small, but noticeable degree (and nobody knows why).

My personal opinion, all botanicals in soap is mostly decoration, no real benefits except as a scrub from my own experience with different botanicals in handmade soap, I am not an expert by an mean, but I didn't find any scientific proof supports that.

Hemp buds would be scratchy. Using CBD in soap is really a complete waste. A few years ago I supplied a clinic with soap made with butter that was pressure cooked from shake and olive oil. It really did nothing for the soap although it was quite strong. They liked it because they were paid well for it and so was I ;), but I no longer fool with it. :lol: They just is not much I haven't made when it comes to soap

General question... Is CBD inexpensive in the US? I see articles about it going into everything from smoothies to coffee to gummy bears to bath bombs, but of course they don't always talk about dosages. What I consider to be an effective dose, from my trusted supplier, is about $4....I can't imagine just throwing that on top of the price of a latte or something (and if we follow the idea that price is 3-4x the cost of your materials.... Yikes!)

Thank you for this thread. I did a search on CBD in soaps so here i am, although this is a year old...

anyway, this might be a multi part question.

i have been reading A LOT on soaping and ingredients. I ran across someone very passionately talking about not using certain essential oils in soaps because of their properties not being safe even in the finished product, specifically if I recall correctly, clove EO. I dont think that was here. It might have been. I read a lot so it could have been anywhere.

I do know a little about essential oils. I used to study them. I use the term study loosely....I dont have a degree, just casual self taught, couple of books and research. But I saw clove EO mentioned in a soap and thought....eewwww what about the lady parts lol.

That said, what is the truth in that? Do soaps retain the properties of EO after soaponification?

Now I know that an oil like CBD is extracted and not the same as a true EO. IF properties of an EO can survive soaping (if it does), why wouldn't an extraction survive? Being new to soaping, I hope these aren't stupid questions. I just need to understand things at the base level lol.

Kim

@Catscankim It is assumed none of the properties survive the lye. Possibly in HP as it's generally used after the cook but still no way to know for sure. If using EO's for their properties you are better off making a leave on product personally. I've made CBD lotion bars for a friend but otherwise leave that stuff to folks who know what they are doing. My neighbor makes tinctures for himself.

Also, perhaps the poison is in the dose...think of the effect a drop of clove oil will have on you (and perhaps your lady parts) vs a drop of CBD oil.

Thank you for this thread. I did a search on CBD in soaps so here i am, although this is a year old...

anyway, this might be a multi part question.

i have been reading A LOT on soaping and ingredients. I ran across someone very passionately talking about not using certain essential oils in soaps because of their properties not being safe even in the finished product, specifically if I recall correctly, clove EO. I dont think that was here. It might have been. I read a lot so it could have been anywhere.

I do know a little about essential oils. I used to study them. I use the term study loosely....I dont have a degree, just casual self taught, couple of books and research. But I saw clove EO mentioned in a soap and thought....eewwww what about the lady parts lol.

That said, what is the truth in that? Do soaps retain the properties of EO after soaponification?

Now I know that an oil like CBD is extracted and not the same as a true EO. IF properties of an EO can survive soaping (if it does), why wouldn't an extraction survive? Being new to soaping, I hope these aren't stupid questions. I just need to understand things at the base level lol.

Kim

I use clove EO quite a bit in soap. At safe IFRA levels. I also make menthol soap. Also at safe IFRA levels. I do my due diligence and research. I also put warning labels on any soap that MIGHT come anywhere close to affecting delicate skin (or lady bits) in case anyone has sensitive skin.

I personally test all of my soap, as I have the most sensitive skin of anyone I know, so if I think I have the slightest "maybe" effect from the soap, it gets a warning level.

You need to test your soap yourself. You need to know what it is going to do to someone else's skin before you choose to share it. You also need to know that not every thing you read is true. Which is why you need to test your soap yourself.

Back