Caterpillar soap cutting station

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess what arrived today? I feel a strange urge to make a lot of large slabs this weekend 😂.

660E1DDB-6FE1-4A06-95CF-93FB7A450DF3.jpeg
5D44C053-5DA8-48E8-AF47-6DB14DA9EC5E.jpeg

I bought myself a caterpillar as a birthday gift this year a

I ordered 😃

I bought mine almost a year ago and it *is* impressive still!! I really love it.

Great summary, thank you @Mobjack Bay! Yes, by putting the handle under the base, rather than over, you can cut slabs of any height because the handle is out of the way. My slab mold is 9.25" on the longest side, but I could easily cut something twice that height if I needed to do so.

The Hercules does come with anti-slip feet and a ruler. The ruler is the only part of the engineering that I find less than perfect. There is nowhere to store it on the machine where it will stay put. When laid in the little track created for it, it moves or falls out as you slide the slab through for cutting, or if you move the cutter around your soaping area. I use double-stick Scotch tape on the bottom to hold it still, but that only lasts for a few washes before it comes loose. I don't want to glue it permanently because it's handy to use for measuring cuts.

I do have some buyer's remorse about not getting the Caterpillar with its ⅛" cutting increments. Given the size of my slab mold, I need to use cardboard every time to achieve even bars. That works, but it's fiddly. TBH, I'd rather have spent the money on the Caterpillar. Y'all may remember that I ended up buying the Cheshire Cat with my Hercules, because it was practically free due to bumping the total purchase into the free shipping zone. But I rarely use the CC and would definitely have benefited from the Caterpillar's ⅛" slots. Oh well.

PS: @dibbles is right - you do need this! :nodding:

Guess what arrived today? I feel a strange urge to make a lot of large slabs this weekend 😂.

View attachment 68207
View attachment 68204
I have a question for the Catapillar users, as well as for AliOop with the Hercules:

Do any of you notice a rocking motion when the cutter is on the counter due to one set of feet being shorter than the other sets of feet? In other words, do all the feet all contact firmly on the counter/table to create a completely level cutter (that does not rock when one end is weighted down with pressure)?

Mine (Catapillar) arrived at my son's house while we were away & I went & picked it up, opened the very well secured packing box (excellently packed for shipment - very impressed) and noticed the feet on the shorter (height-wise) end do not touch the surface when I place it on the counter-top. So when I cut the slab yesterday, the cutter rocks while in use. I plan to contact the company, of course, but thought I'd ask if that was anyone else's experience?

@earlene I'm sorry to hear that - so disappointing after the long wait! My unit is extremely steady, with no rocking at all. Given the quality of their work, it seems unlikely that the company wouldn't pick up on this before it left their facility. Perhaps yours somehow got warped by excessive heat? Whatever the cause, I am glad you contacted them, and I'm sure they will make it right.

I'm not home this week, but I don't think I have any rocking at all. I'm sure CCT will work with you. I've never had anything less than perfect from them.

In chat with Alex, I got instructions how to fix it, but it takes a lot of strength and I am exhausted from trying to straighten it. I required using the edge of the counter top as a fulcrum and putting pressure on both ends of the length of flat upper surface of the cutter where the soap slides. I am not as strong as I used to be in my youth, but I was still afraid I might break it while applying pressure.

It's not perfect yet, but after my upper arms return to normal feeling (it's a workout!), I'll try again later after my upper arms recuperate. This thing is stronger than I am!

In chat with Alex, I got instructions how to fix it, but it takes a lot of strength and I am exhausted from trying to straighten it. I required using the edge of the counter top as a fulcrum and putting pressure on both ends of the length of flat upper surface of the cutter where the soap slides. I am not as strong as I used to be in my youth, but I was still afraid I might break it while applying pressure.
I'm sorry. I haven't noticed that with mine. I hope it works out for you though. I'm really enjoying my Hercules cutter.

My Caterpillar sits level with no rocking. I’m disappointed to hear that your’s is not and hope the fix-it yourself approach takes care of the issue. I wonder if putting it outside in the heat to warm up would make it a wee bit less resistant when you’re applying pressure.

No worries. I just asked here first because I wanted to know if it was supposed to be part of the design and I wasn't really sure if that was the case.

The method Alex suggested is what they do at the shop before sending it out. He apologized profusely for missing the QC on mine and showed me photos of how to make the adjustment to get it straight/level. The only problem is my strength. It is much better now, but when I get it out again, I'll tweak it the rest of the way, which is only necessary because I am no longer the strong spring chicken I once was in my youth. :cool:

I thought I responded to this earlier, but am not seeing that post. I am very disappointed to hear that CCT expects you to fix this problem. Given the cost of this item, they should have shipped you a new one and taken the old one back at their expense. At the very least, they should given you a significant price adjustment for fixing it yourself.

Back