Caterpillar soap cutting station

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late reply! I haven't ordered mine yet (super busy with life and work) but hoping to do so soon. Yes, Tree Marie has a 5% coupon code on her video!

Currently 10% off through end of July per Alex in online chat today: Use code June2022 at checkout. No more free shipping due to the expense for them, so this is the perfect time to order and offset the shipping cost with this discount.

Obviously, I placed an order. I had to set it to ship to my son's house, since we trekking around the Southern states for a bit, but I okay that with my son. It will be nice to come home to the packages upon our return. It was the Caterpillar that I ordered plus the Cheshire Cat. Like I really NEED more stuff, right? But I really want these items!

I was really tempted to order a few other things, but at least I showed some restraint.

I bought myself a caterpillar as a birthday gift this year and it is wonderful. It arrived fairly quickly, so I think they had some already made. I just want to mention that historically Custom Craft Tools has a long turn around time between orders placed and shipping the items out. I'm talking weeks. You might get a shipping notice, and most of the time that means they are beginning to make your item. I just don't want anyone to be upset that something they ordered weeks ago hasn't yet been received. Don't get me wrong - the products are worth waiting for and very high quality. It's just not a vendor that has lots of stock ready to go. I think it is also somewhat dependent on the item. I ordered a mold on June 30, and haven't yet received a shipping notice, so it will be probably a month from the time it was ordered until it is received. They sponsored the Soap Challenge Club last month and offered a discount code, so I have a feeling they are extra busy right now as well.

I bought myself a caterpillar as a birthday gift this year and it is wonderful. It arrived fairly quickly, so I think they had some already made. I just want to mention that historically Custom Craft Tools has a long turn around time between orders placed and shipping the items out. I'm talking weeks. You might get a shipping notice, and most of the time that means they are beginning to make your item. I just don't want anyone to be upset that something they ordered weeks ago hasn't yet been received. Don't get me wrong - the products are worth waiting for and very high quality. It's just not a vendor that has lots of stock ready to go. I think it is also somewhat dependent on the item. I ordered a mold on June 30, and haven't yet received a shipping notice, so it will be probably a month from the time it was ordered until it is received. They sponsored the Soap Challenge Club last month and offered a discount code, so I have a feeling they are extra busy right now as well.
I ordered July first and got my notification that my shipping label was created Friday, and they state on their site that there's processing of 5-7 business days. I'm not complaining, especially considering the circumstances for my order, but I do think it speaks to how busy they are after this challenge. 😃

I ordered July first and got my notification that my shipping label was created Friday, and they state on their site that there's processing of 5-7 business days. I'm not complaining, especially considering the circumstances for my order, but I do think it speaks to how busy they are after this challenge. 😃
I think they try to keep up with the caterpillar/hercules - mine came faster than I expected, having ordered from them before I was prepared for a longer wait.

I think they try to keep up with the caterpillar/hercules - mine came faster than I expected, having ordered from them before I was prepared for a longer wait.
I ordered the Hercules. It was longer than the stated processing time, but again, I can't complain. It looks like it's going to be well worth the wait.

Last edited:
Being a small family business (with only 2 people, if I recall correctly), I am prepared for a wait. I set the delivery to be to my son's house in case it gets sent out while we are traveling. I did verify with him that is okay, of course. I have had packages arrive here while we are away & it always worries me because it tends to rain here in the summer & cardboard boxes don't hold up well to heavy rain.

Hi AliOop,

I'm curious if you've purchased this item and what your verdict is.

Has anyone else bought one?
I bought mine almost a year ago and it *is* impressive still!! I really love it. The *only* bad thing I have to say about it, is that when cutting a slab into bars, it can be hard to get them perfectly equal because you can't set it on *any* increment - it has to be in 1/8th inches, which doesn't always work out perfectly for my slabs. Make sense? Sorry if I didn't explain that well. But other than that small thing, I *really* love it!!
SoapMom

I came into a little pocket money and I’m thinking about buying one of these cutters. I’m tyring to make sure I understand the differences. Here’s what I think I’ve established based on the photos and the specs:

Size: The Caterpillar is longer and taller, but the height of the sides at the “front” cutting area is just slightly greater (0.5”) compared with the Hercules.

Cutting increment: Even though the increments looks the same to me on the CCT website, the specs state adjustment to 1/8“ increments for the Caterpillar versus 1/4” for the Hercules. It looks like the adjustment notches on the Caterpillar are machined in a stainless steel(?) plate while the notches for the Hercules are cut directly into the side walls of the cutter. Thanks @AliOop for the comment above about using cardboard to get the inbetween increments.

Wire cutter: It looks like the wire cutter/slicer of the Caterpillar is braced with metal, possibly stainless steel, on both sides vs. the Hercules wire cutter which is braced with the same material as the base on one side vs. metal(?) on the other side.

Cutting guide ruler: The little ruler is shown with the Caterpillar but I didn’t notice it in any of the photos of the Hercules although it does look like there’s a place for it on the Hercules.

It took me a bit to figure out why they posted the photos that show the handle part of the cutter/slicer under the base. I guess that positioning is the key to cutting a tall slab. So, am I correct in thinking I would be able to cut a 10” square slab @3.5” with either of the models?

I assume the Caterpillar is heavier and also a bit more stable with the three feet. Do the feet on either model have anti-slip pads?

the specs state adjustment to 1/8“ increments for the Caterpillar
This is correct
It looks like the adjustment notches on the Caterpillar are machined in a stainless steel(?) plate
It is
It looks like the wire cutter/slicer of the Caterpillar is braced with metal, possibly stainless steel, on both sides
It is
It took me a bit to figure out why they posted the photos that show the handle part of the cutter/slicer under the base. I guess that positioning is the key to cutting a tall slab. So, am I correct in thinking I would be able to cut a 10” square slab @3.5” with either of the models?
Yes
I assume the Caterpillar is heavier and also a bit more stable with the three feet. Do the feet on either model have anti-slip pads?
There are silicone (?) pads on the bottom of the feet. I weighed it - a little over 4.5 lbs. I already forgot the exact weight 🤔. The cutter weighs about a pound. I can weigh it again (and write it down) if you want more exact weights.

As far as the cutting aspect, I still prefer my single wire cutter. If I didn't already have a wire cutter, this would work well and I wouldn't feel the need to buy one.

You do really need this. Ask @AliOop if you need a second opinion.

Great summary, thank you @Mobjack Bay! Yes, by putting the handle under the base, rather than over, you can cut slabs of any height because the handle is out of the way. My slab mold is 9.25" on the longest side, but I could easily cut something twice that height if I needed to do so.

The Hercules does come with anti-slip feet and a ruler. The ruler is the only part of the engineering that I find less than perfect. There is nowhere to store it on the machine where it will stay put. When laid in the little track created for it, it moves or falls out as you slide the slab through for cutting, or if you move the cutter around your soaping area. I use double-stick Scotch tape on the bottom to hold it still, but that only lasts for a few washes before it comes loose. I don't want to glue it permanently because it's handy to use for measuring cuts.

I do have some buyer's remorse about not getting the Caterpillar with its ⅛" cutting increments. Given the size of my slab mold, I need to use cardboard every time to achieve even bars. That works, but it's fiddly. TBH, I'd rather have spent the money on the Caterpillar. Y'all may remember that I ended up buying the Cheshire Cat with my Hercules, because it was practically free due to bumping the total purchase into the free shipping zone. But I rarely use the CC and would definitely have benefited from the Caterpillar's ⅛" slots. Oh well.

PS: @dibbles is right - you do need this! :nodding:

Latest posts

Back