Castor Oil Dos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohsoap

Reaction score
What percentage of Castor oil can I use without running the risk of DOS.

I'm asking because I made two batches of soap, with all the same ingredients, same lye % and same SF, and stored in the same conditions. One was Lavender EO, the other was Lavender Mint EO.
My recipe is almost identical but the one has
21% Palm
5% Castor oil
3.5% Cocoabutter
No Dos

The other is
15% Palm
8% Castor
6% Cocoa butter
Has Dos

Well, I made soap with up to 10 % of castor oil and haven't had DOS on any one (yet). But then again, I started soaping in April. What else is in your soap?

If you're using olive oil in the recipe, make sure that it is from a reliable source. Sometimes it is mixed with some Canola and passed off as pure olive oil.

By any chance is it the one with the mint that has the DOS? If so, then that is probably the culprit. I use castor up to 10% in every batch and the only time I have ever gotten DOS was in a bar with peppermint eo.

Yes it was the one with the mint. I had someone else say that mint also causes dos, they also said it is more prone when combined with Lavender EO. Maybe I should try mixing my Lavender with Peppermint FO instead.

Latest posts

Back