Castor Oil as SF in HP Shampoo Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope this has not already been addressed, but I would like to know if there is any difference in using castor oil as a superfat as opposed to any other oil. I am trying to come up with a recipe for a HP shampoo bar and knowing that castor oil is supposed to be good for hair, I wondered if adding it after the cook as the SF would retain more of it's benefits. Since it is such a unique and also heavy oil, I don't know if it would be too heavy and greasy as SF in a shampoo bar for thin, oily hair. My hair is pretty thin and also oily, so I don't want anything that would weigh it down or contribute to oiliness. I am including 7%-8% black castor oil in the recipe, and will add the SF after the cook. Any suggestions on whether castor oil would work as SF in a shampoo bar for my hair type, or what other oil may be the best to use as the SF? I tried castor as SF in one recipe that called for 6% SF, and also had 25% castor as part of the recipe, and it left my hair limp. I'm thinking the SF was too high all around, as well as too much castor in recipe. I would lower the amount of castor as well as the SF, in this recipe, but was wondering if castor was just a poor choice for SF in a shampoo bar or any soap for that matter.

Put some castor oil on your hair and see what it does and how well it rinses out. It would also behoove you read all the threads on soap as shampoo, and decide if you want to risk damaging your hair. Oil does Not fix hair damage only coats it and makes us feel it is fixing your hair. Conditioners are basically a lotion that help make hair feel better and easier to comb through when wet, by leaving a light coating on the hair. Soap is Not "Shampoo"

Wasn't implying that soap is the same as shampoo, just using the term for reference as to what the use of the bar would be. Also not trying to fix my hair, as it is not damaged, even though I wash it with soap regularly. Wasn't even looking for opinions on "shampoo" bars in general, only asking about good oils for the SF, castor oil in particular. I'll look elsewhere. Thank you.

Dunn tells us that your super fatting oil won't stay that way anyway, it'll trade around salts with the soap oils.

So sure, use castor if you like, but don't rely on it remaining as your super fat. Over time, it won't.

I wouldn't use castor as a SF, its thick and can build up. I actually don't really recommend SF for a shampoo bar, when I was making them I set the SF to 1 and didn't bother adding it after the cook when I did HP, just add all the oils up front.

Latest posts

Back