Casting the Gauntlet of Challenge!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have New Orleans-based soaps from prior batches (Zulu Coconut, Nouveau Laveau, City Park, and Gris Gris), and had planned to make a Red Beans and Rice soap and a Cafe au Lait soap for this challenge. BUT I haven't found a scent I'm happy with for the RB&R batch...I don't want to go with the fresh laundry scent (in New Orleans, Monday is traditionally both Red Beans and Rice day AND laundry day) that the soapmaker who inspired me to make this soap uses in her version. Just doesn't work for me...I sooo wish I could find a Tabasco type FO!
Considering that I don't color my soaps (so they are pretty boring in a photo) and that I'll be on my third 12-hour shift at the hospital on the "reveal date", I guess I'm out :(
But I DO look forward to seeing everyone else's creations on Monday!!

I left the red beans and rice one I made unscented, because I couldn't figure out what went with it.

I want to follow... don't have time for the 20th deadline but I want to do the next round!

It is almost non-existant. It is really, really, light. Also, just in case you didn't know & it mattered, it turns dark brown.
Thanks Genny! Glad I didn't order it, and the color WOULD matter to me in this soap...I was planning to add rice powder to about a third of the batch for the bottom layer (which I want to be nearly white) and rose clay and red bean powder to the rest. Having that bottom layer turn brown would ruin the effect I was going for. :Kitten Love:

lol, hiya Mel. Work has been a wee bit nuts. It's 1130 at night, I have been home for 30 minutes, and severely unmotivated. I do have a post about some soap I amde last week I need to do, and of course the mardis gras soap. I'll probably do the first one on Saturday.

Unless I end up sleeing all day to catch up:p

Made mine tonight! Are we posting pics in this thread or elsewhere? I can't wait to cut it tomorrow ^^

Down to the final 2 days

OK everybody. For those participating in the Sunday's "Mardi Gras Soap and Tell," today and tomorrow are the last days to get your stuff in the mold for Sunday's big reveal. Mine aren't perfect, but I learned SO MUCH through the process, and I can't wait to see everyone's masterpieces. As a reminder, while everyone appreciates the "perfect bar of soap" that's not what this was about, do if you are a "newbie" like me or just aren't happy with your final product, that's fine. We still want to see it and know your concept, approach, challenges and anything else you want to share with the group.

Sorry everyone, but I think i have to bow out :-( I started on the inserts early this week but came down with a nasty virus on Thursday and just haven't been up to finishing. I might try to get motivated and soap today if I'm feeling any better, but seeing that I've been up most the might hacking up a lung, it's not likely. I can't wait to see everyone else's creations, though :)

Made mine tonight! Are we posting pics in this thread or elsewhere? I can't wait to cut it tomorrow ^^

Please post pics in the Photo Gallery, I'm moving Alchemy and Ashes post with photo there.

Title- Mardi Gras Soap Challenge Photos

Am at a farmers market today, but will be cutting and photographing my soap as soon as i get home

Latest posts

Back