Casting the Gauntlet of Challenge!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would anybody have interest in doing a soap project around a theme and comparing pics of the results? NOT a contest, just a theme. I find it helpful to have a way to focus my creativity, and I would also love to see how others interpret it and play on different techniques, colors, etc. Here's how it would work. We would agree upon a broad theme for the project, set a deadline for completion (nothing to long and drawn out...a couple of weeks max) and at the end everyone would post comments and pictures of their final results on the thread. Thoughts?

They do a soap swap on here where they use a "theme" of using certain EOs or certain additives. Not sure if that is what you are thinking about. Or perhaps you want to do something more creative with colors, swirls, embeds or designs?

That sounds like a fun idea. I'd totally be in for that.

I have to say though, your thread title makes me want to come up with a clever RPG response, but I haven't had enough coffee yet. Best I can think of is that my mage has +5 to saponification gloves.

I'd love to join! Wether or not I find time between school and work to do it is another story. But I would definitely try. I need something to motivate me to get up off my lazy butt and make more soap.

That sounds like a fun idea. I'd totally be in for that.

I have to say though, your thread title makes me want to come up with a clever RPG response, but I haven't had enough coffee yet. Best I can think of is that my mage has +5 to saponification gloves.

My pajama bottoms have +3 to lye burns but -7 charisma. :mrgreen:

I'd love to join! Wether or not I find time between school and work to do it is another story. But I would definitely try. I need something to motivate me to get up off my lazy butt and make more soap.

Wallflower, to quote Master Yoda

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No[/ame]

Just commit. It'll be fun!

They do a soap swap on here where they use a "theme" of using certain EOs or certain additives. Not sure if that is what you are thinking about. Or perhaps you want to do something more creative with colors, swirls, embeds or designs?

I suggest we leave HOW each participant interprets the challenge to their own creativity. We could exchange design ideas or keep it a secret until the "big reveal." (Yeah, I watch WAY too much HGTV.)

I'm down. I just turned a corner in my soap making, so I'd like to get in on this!

Ok DWM what theme do you have in mind?

I didn't know there were RPGers on here! lol

Here's my suggestion: Valentine's is just too obvious with all the hearts and roses. Maybe it's my southern roots showing, but I suggest...wait for it....

"Mardi Gras" Let your creativity lead you where it will.

Deadline: Results photos to be posted by Sunday, Jan 20th (that's three weekends for those counting) along with a description of your project to include: Interpretation, technique, color choices, recipe and fragrance choice (if any).

If it goes well, somebody else can pick the next theme. Or we could all vote on the "winner" and let them pick the next theme. Sound like a plan?

Last edited:
I like it. It's deceptivly diffucult.
If your up for a challenge and want to go non-traditional/abstract
Or easy, if you want to keep it main stream.

I'm off to "research" Mardi Gras

Last edited:
I like it. It's deceptivly diffucult.
If your up for a challenge and want to go non-traditional/abstract
Or easy, if you want to keep it main stream.

I'm off to "research" Mardi Gras

That's my thought too. Newbies like me can keep it simple, and the more experienced among us can "show us how it's done." The great thing about soap is, if you screw up, hey, it still gets stuff clean.

I am in for a mardi gras theme. I wish I had 2lilboot's silicone bundt mold. I'd make King Cake soap.

It may be that the pajama bottoms distracted you, but I think Gryffonmoon may me a maybe as well :)

Back