Casting Resin in Clay for Soap Stamps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyB

Reaction score
Has anyone here used potters' clay to make forms to cast soap stamps out of resin? I would like to make a stamp using a branch from a shrub (I've seen this done, so I'm not too crazy), but the finished product was cast in plaster of Paris, not resin. I can't find anything about using actual clay for molds--there seem to have been 2 websites/blogs that people reference, but they're no longer operational.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cathy

You can use any material that can be carved or otherwise manipulated to get the master image you want. Wax, wood, clay, soap -- you name it. I think the key for choosing a material for the master pattern is whether you can make an image that is sufficiently smooth, crisp, and detailed.

Also the material for the master pattern has to be compatible with the material you want to use to make the actual stamp. For example, wax won't be suitable for making a master pattern if you want to then make the stamp from molten metal.

Clara Lindberg of Auntie Clara did a neat photo tutorial about carving a bar of soap to make the pattern for a stamp. The actual stamp was then made using a pourable resin. I'll try to find it -- it was originally on Facebook, but she might also have it on her blog.

edit: I can't find this tutorial on her blog. Here's a link to Auntie Clara's Facebook tute -- The access is set to public so anyone should be able to see it.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused with your question, maybe I'm reading it wrong. You want to use a branch as your master and cast it in resin? Or cast it in plaster of paris? Or use clay to carve a shape and cast in resin?
If you want to make a shape in clay then cast in resin, I've seen something like that done before in a video. I crafted resin jewelry for quite some time. You can totally do that with some alteration.
I would not recommend using pottery clay. Pottery clay is water based and resin hates moisture. If you let the clay dry then pour the resin it would be very likely that the clay particles will stuck on resin. A wax-based or oil-based modeling clay would work much better. You can carve out the pattern you want, create a barrier with clay, and pour resin in there. Use a slow moving resin to avoid bubbles.

I have a branch I've pressed into Potter's clay, and removed after the clay had dried. Now, I want to make a resin casting of the impression.

I've sprayed the clay with a clear Krylon to help seal it.

I do have some oil-based clay, so I will try that.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't used resins since I was a kid playing with a Plasti-Cast kit (late '60s).

Latest posts

Back