Castille Soap -- as mild as it gets?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've heard that 100% Olive Oil soap is very mild. Any recommendations on lye discounting to make it as mild as possible while still getting a nice hard bar?

Basically I'm looking to make a soap that is as mild as soap can possibly get but I don't want a bar of mush!

When I'm making Castille I use a 5% Lye Discount/Superfat to keep the bar as hard as possible while maintaining the mildness and discouraging DOS (Dreaded Orange Spots = rancidity in the bars).

Castille is one of my favourites and I use it to make my baby & children's soaps....

You are going to get lots of opinions on what superfat is the best - it is really a very personal choice. My recommendation? Make some small batches uses different superfats to see what you like....

HTH
Cheers
Lindy

Thanks Lindy... I plan on using an antioxidant to help keep DOS away so I can superfat at 10%. Do you think if I put some shea butter in the recipe (maybe 20-30%) and use aloe vera juice instead of water in my lye solution, that it would make the bar even better for super sensitive skin than 100% olive oil?

My friend has been researching home made baby products and found castile soap and asked me to make her some. I have never tried a 100% olive oil soap but I am willing to give it a shot.

What are some good EO blends to use? Does it lather well without castor oil or honey? If I add anything besides OO does that make it no longer Castile?

ilovedoxies said:
My friend has been researching home made baby products and found castile soap and asked me to make her some. I have never tried a 100% olive oil soap but I am willing to give it a shot.

What are some good EO blends to use? Does it lather well without castor oil or honey? If I add anything besides OO does that make it no longer Castile?

My personal opinion is if you are making products to be used on babies, I wouldn't use any EO's, FO's or coloring. Babies skin can be so much more sensitive than adults and even older children that I would just make a plain unscented/uncolored bar...
You will get a lot of opinions on whether adding anything besides OO makes it a castille or not. Again, IMO (only) if there is anything added more than OO it is no longer a Castille soap, but like I said, that's jmo...

That is a good point, as I was thinking of not using any eo but a google search for baby soap turned up loads of stuff with tea tree and lavender oils. But to be on the safest side, when in doubt I leave it out.

As for the olive oils, my olive oil is a little yellow/greenish color. Does the soap turn white after saponification or will it be the color of the OO?

Yup - it sure does. Castille is an amazing soap IMO even though it takes longer to cure which is why I only do a 5% superfat/lye discount on it. My very first batch of soap was castille and I still have a couple of pieces which are hard like rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never add EO, FO or colour to baby or small children soaps either. And I always make a Castille for them.....

Danielito - Shea Butter can be an irritant in some cases - in fact it is more likely to create an allergic reaction that 100% OO (Castille).... I personally am a HUGE fan of Shea but I do know that it can create problems for people with SUPER sensitive skin....mind you there are going to be people who are allergic to anything you can think of - for instance - I am deadly allergic to citrus (oranges, lemons, grapefruit, lime) and if I accidentally get any I have to go straight to the hospital because even my chest cavity swells. So you just never know....

Latest posts

Back