Castille Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordenAdams

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m new here and tried to make pure olive oil liquid Castile soap. My mom is highly allergic to coconut and I cannot find Cruelty-Free products that don’t contain some type of coconut, so I resorted to making my own. Well I failed.
So I’m here asking if anyone makes and would sell me a completely coconut free Castile soap? I use it for shampoo, foaming hand soap dispensers, dishes, house cleaning, laundry, and all the things. I’m not super particular about the other oils in it, so long as it cleans and is free of coconut.
Thank you in advance!

Hi, and welcome. I think a number of people make castille soap here (I'm not one of them unfortunately; @Zany_in_CO ?) -- are you looking for solid soap, or liquid soap?
You can also look around in the intro forum; there is a lot of good advice in there if you decide to try making it again. It is really not magic, I think you should! :)

Hi everyone! I’m new here and tried to make pure olive oil liquid Castile soap. My mom is highly allergic to coconut and I cannot find Cruelty-Free products that don’t contain some type of coconut, so I resorted to making my own. Well I failed.
So I’m here asking if anyone makes and would sell me a completely coconut free Castile soap? I use it for shampoo, foaming hand soap dispensers, dishes, house cleaning, laundry, and all the things. I’m not super particular about the other oils in it, so long as it cleans and is free of coconut.
Thank you in advance!

A true Castile Soap doesn’t contain Coconut Oil...just Olive Oil. You can easily make your own, not though that it can take up to a year to cure. I believe you can cut some of the cure time off with a 40% lye concentration.

The term "Castile soap" is used in this community to refer to a lye soap with no other oil than Olive oil, which is unlikely to be the only thing you need, though I understand some companies refer to any lye soap as "Castile." For the remainder of my post, I will be referring to lye soap as soap.
So I’m here asking if anyone makes and would sell me a completely coconut free Castile soap?
Making a lot of soap for someone you haven't worked with before is a bit of a risk, so I'll spell out what you need and why so you can see if anyone is already making it.
1. Shampoo- Lye soap should almost never be used for hair because the pH levels will damage your hair leading to dullness, thinning, and breakage. There are few people who get away with it and so some people do formulate bars for it, but if it ends badly, you've been warned. There are a lot of mild synthetic detergent shampoos that don't use coconut-based cleansers, but it does take some searching.
2. Foaming hand soap- you would need a liquid hand soap formulated specifically for foaming dispensers.
3. Dishes, cleaning, laundry- you would be looking for soap that's almost entirely babassu, palm kernel oil, or another extremely cleansing oil, formulated specifically with that type of use in mind. This type of soap will almost certainly irritate your skin and most individuals who use this type of soap handle it with gloves on. You may need to use an acidic rinse on whatever you use it on to ensure all the soap is off and will not irritate your skin on contact.
4. I'm assuming "all the things" refers to showering, and for that you would need a mild soap formulated for use on the human body. This is pretty much the only item on your list for which a Castile soap as understood by this community could possibly be what you're looking for, but there are plenty of other mild soaps that don't use coconut to choose from as well.

Attempting to use soap formulated for the human body on inanimate objects will usually leave a residue from the aspects of the soap that are formulated to keep it from taking all your skin oils and leaving you with dry skin.

Anyways, you're at least looking for 3 different products if not 4 or more, so now you can tailor your search- and expectations- accordingly.

Hey, I totally understand why this got moved to the liquid soap forum, but can I ask why it got renamed for the soap of the month competition thread and why Goat Soap rulz! comment from that thread was included? That part doesn't make sense to me.
ETA: looks like it's all sorted. Thanks @shunt2011 !

Last edited:
Hey, I totally understand why this got moved to the liquid soap forum, but can I ask why it got renamed for the soap of the month competition thread and why Goat Soap rulz! comment from that thread was included? That part doesn't make sense to me.
Trying to figure that out. Sorry, something went crazy. Problem fixed.

Last edited:
...I resorted to making my own. Well I failed....

I'm going to not use "castile" here because this word means too many different things to people.

You don't explain why you thought you failed when you made the liquid soap. If you would share what happened and ask for help, I bet we could help troubleshoot.

A 100% olive oil soap won't be easy to make as a liquid (KOH) soap because the very high oleic acid content will make this soap hard to dilute into a stable, pourable soap.

You would be better off to set your sights on making soap with a blend of fats that will provide better properties as liquid soap. Without coconut or another similar fat to build lather, the soap might not create a lot of suds, but it will still be soap and it will still clean.

Although a person can use any soap for any type of cleaning, any one particular soap will be best for either bathing or household cleaning. So I'd pick one purpose -- bath soap maybe? -- and formulate for that, given your limitations on the types of fats you can use.

The term "Castile soap" is used in this community to refer to a lye soap with no other oil than Olive oil, which is unlikely to be the only thing you need, though I understand some companies refer to any lye soap as "Castile." For the remainder of my post, I will be referring to lye soap as soap.

Making a lot of soap for someone you haven't worked with before is a bit of a risk, so I'll spell out what you need and why so you can see if anyone is already making it.
1. Shampoo- Lye soap should almost never be used for hair because the pH levels will damage your hair leading to dullness, thinning, and breakage. There are few people who get away with it and so some people do formulate bars for it, but if it ends badly, you've been warned. There are a lot of mild synthetic detergent shampoos that don't use coconut-based cleansers, but it does take some searching.
2. Foaming hand soap- you would need a liquid hand soap formulated specifically for foaming dispensers.
3. Dishes, cleaning, laundry- you would be looking for soap that's almost entirely babassu, palm kernel oil, or another extremely cleansing oil, formulated specifically with that type of use in mind. This type of soap will almost certainly irritate your skin and most individuals who use this type of soap handle it with gloves on. You may need to use an acidic rinse on whatever you use it on to ensure all the soap is off and will not irritate your skin on contact.
4. I'm assuming "all the things" refers to showering, and for that you would need a mild soap formulated for use on the human body. This is pretty much the only item on your list for which a Castile soap as understood by this community could possibly be what you're looking for, but there are plenty of other mild soaps that don't use coconut to choose from as well.

Attempting to use soap formulated for the human body on inanimate objects will usually leave a residue from the aspects of the soap that are formulated to keep it from taking all your skin oils and leaving you with dry skin.

Anyways, you're at least looking for 3 different products if not 4 or more, so now you can tailor your search- and expectations- accordingly.
I have been unable to find a castle without some form of coconut,
Thank you in advance!
There are a lot of mild synthetic detergent shampoos that don't use coconut-based cleansers, but it does take some searching."

I have not yet found one nor have the commercial outlets for natural soaps and shampoos. The people I spoke to went off and asked others who make the soaps etc they sell. No luck. I live in Canada and nothing seems available so far. There is a company in the US .. SunGold...I think. The cost is huge to pay exchange and shipping.. I will keep searching

FYI I can't do lye.

@JordenAdams have you tried making liquid soap with a blend of OO and either PKO or Babassu instead of CO? If not, I would encourage you to try that. If you need help with the process, there is a fantastic liquid soapmaking thread by @IrishLass if you want to search for that on this forum.

@Carolynkc I hope you will reconsider using lye to make your soap. Otherwise, you are limited to pre-made soap bases that others have created using lye (as lye is a necessary ingredient to making soap). And most of those premade bases contain some form of CO.

I will paraphrase Ann Watson (a soap author) and say that driving cars and riding bikes are both potentially dangerous activities. However, that doesn't stop us from doing them; rather, we take appropriate precautions to avoid harm, like wearing glasses if needed, putting on seat belts, and taking a driving course or two to become proficient.

The same is true with lye. It is not the fearful monster that you may believe it to be. You need to respect the lye, and use the appropriate safety precautions - but you don't need to fear it. Watch all the free soap-making videos available on YouTube until you are comfortable with the process. Then procure the right safety gear, and maybe find a friend or a local class to teach you the basics in person. Many folks here were afraid of lye and are now very happy soapmakers. I wish the same for you!

Last edited:
On the contrary, my friend. I make several different liquid soaps and each ends up at one time or another performing all 4 of the applications you mention. Some work better than others. The family/friend favorite is my HOG WASH Hair & Body Shampoo made with 50/50 PKO & Lard.

1) Shampoo - It's important to rinse thoroughly with increasingly cool water until it's as cold as you can stand it, to close the hair shaft and remove all the soap scum. An acid rinse with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (and others) helps remove any residual scum and restores the pH balance to the scalp. A beer rinse adds volume. A drop or two of Argan oil rubbed between the palms and onto the hair controls flyaways and adds shine.
2) Foaming Hand Soap, Use Rate: 1 part LS to 3 parts water.
3) Dishes, cleaning, laundry - For dishes, I use foamer soap and a sponge. For general cleaning, I use a squirt of foamer soap on a wet cleaning rag wrung damp. For laundry, I use a re-purposed Purex Detergent container and follow the markings in the cap for how much LS to add. I add it along with Oxi-Clean powder to boost cleansing power and to help remove stains. I use 1/4 cup white vinegar in the final rinse. I often run a second rinse cycle to make sure no soap residue remains. That's what causes clothes to look dingy and feel stiff after using lye-based soap for laundry. I love my laundry day so much because I get sucha a kick out of folding clean, soft, fresh-smelling linens and clothes!
:nodding:
I recently discovered that my foamer soap scented with ZANY’S BLIMEY! BLEND
1 Part Lemon EO
1 Part Litsea Cubeba EO
2 Parts Lime EO
worked for removing carpet stains that were resistant to all other green cleaners I tried. I pumped it onto the spot. Rubbed it in. Let it set for 5 minutes. Then worked it into a lather, blotted with a wet rag and dried it with a clean towel.

ETA: I see the OP is no longer with us. Too bad. So sad. :sadgoodbye: I would have been game to try 100% Olive Oil LS for her all-purpose LS. I think, but I'm not certain, that olive oil cleans as well as any of the other oils. I once used it (the oil, not the soap) straight on a ballpoint pen mark on the collar of a silk blouse that I bought on sale for 75% off. Worked like a charm! It's the oil-on-oil trick I picked up somewhere. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back