Castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see @penelopejane is about to make Castile soap. My batch of Castile has been curing for 7 weeks and I tested it. The sliminess other mentioned is there. I read a long thread saying it will not go away, even with lots and lots of time. While it doesn't affect the soap, do people who use it comment on it, not like it, do like it? What are the results? I'm planning to use my batches as gifts. For those who sell, is Castile a sought after product?

Castile takes 12 months minimum to cure. I use sea salt and citric acid and EVOO and don't get the slime. It depends on your market as to whether it sells. It sells really well for me.

My family and community are Greek and really into 100% Olive oil soaps. When I make Zany's no slime recipe, they don't believe it's Castile Point being, for some people who just really enjoy and seek it out, that's what they expect and want.

Personally, I love Zany's and even do my dishes with it.

I like 100% olive oil soap. The people I make soap for like to have other oils added. Some like castor oil added. Some like coconut oil.

I am currently in a warm, dry climate and am using a lye discount of 8% which is nice here. In cooler, more wet climates I used 5% lye discount which worked well in those places.

Latest posts

Back