Castile soft and sweaty

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hozhed

Reaction score
Hi people. I have made many batches of Castile soap, as I have some customers who like it a lot, (not sure why), anyway this last batch is softer than usual, and quite sweaty. It actually has beads on top. I know 100% OO takes a while to harden up, but this batch even a whole day later is like soft meatloaf. Too soft to even try to unmold. The only change I can think of is that the ambient temp is much warmer than my last batch and much more humid. Just let it sit a day ore two longer? Should I paper towel the beads off or leave it? Thanks all of you. Steve

I've made some batches where the ingredients were off because the scale was wrong (was off by 60% once). I measured way to much lye. IDK if something like this could have happened but it is worth considering. I'd wipe the "sweat" off and see if it reacts with vinegar.

It could be due to high humidity or FO weeping if you used any. I would let it sit for a day or two longer. Then when unmolded I would zap test it. Don't wipe the beads off, it will likely reabsorb.

I've made some batches where the ingredients were off because the scale was wrong (was off by 60% once). I measured way to much lye. IDK if something like this could have happened but it is worth considering. I'd wipe the "sweat" off and see if it reacts with vinegar.

How are you checking to see if it reacts with vinegar?

For Hozhed, I would zap test the liquid beads. You could be getting some separation from the heat/humidity combo. Or, as shunt says, it could be weeping FO. I would also wait a few days to see if it re-absorbs.

I'm with Shari and Galaxy- just let it sit a bit longer. It's always amazing what a little extra time will do- the soap hardens up, things get re-absorbed, etc...

IrishLass :)

How are you checking to see if it reacts with vinegar?

For Hozhed, I would zap test the liquid beads. You could be getting some separation from the heat/humidity combo. Or, as shunt says, it could be weeping FO. I would also wait a few days to see if it re-absorbs.

If the liquid has a lot of lye in it then adding vinegar to it (the paper towel or whatever) should fizz up a good bit.

Its getting a bit harder....slowly. still too shaky to try to unmold without dinging it up. As far the zap tast. I think I have a problem.......i get no zap even on new soap......did I put too many 9 volt batteries on my tongue when I was younger? I just dont feel it. Am I defective?

If the liquid has a lot of lye in it then adding vinegar to it (the paper towel or whatever) should fizz up a good bit.
I was afraid you would say that. I'm sorry but... It won't. Lye, NaOH, won't fizz with an acid. Baking soda, HNaCO3, reacts with vinegar to give off carbon dioxide (CO2). NaOH doesnt have any carbon dioxide to give off so it won't fizz.

Just thought I'd ask in case.

Eta: what do you consider new soap?

Last edited:
This soap finally hardened up enough to un mold and cut. I bet it takes forever to cure tho.

I think im odd here in that i actually like Castille soap, but you are sort of right here, the best bars i tried were ones i used 2-3 years after making :)

Back