Castile soap murky

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks DeeAnna for this information too....my first bottle of LGP has just arrived in the post !!
Oh nuts! I was hoping I wouldn't have to go there. But just for the sake of all reading this,"Fully saponified soap requires no preservative," Catherine Failor, Author, Making Natural Liquid Soaps.
If you think about it, hard bars don't require a preservative and they come into contact with water every time you use them and sit in water while drying out after use. The same is true with liquid soap. If fully saponified, it requires no preservative.

I started making LS in 2004. In all these years there's never been a problem. One of the members of the Liquid Soap Makers Group has a manufacturing plant in Indonesia. He and his partner do not add preservative. Dr Bronner's LS has been around since the 60's. No preservative. Vermont Country Store and other commercial, all-natural liquid soap, on the market, do not use preservatives.

That being said, I do understand the mentality of "rather safe than sorry". People are free to do as they choose and if it provides them some peace of mind, so be it.

Last edited:
I realize this is long over now - but could the liquid soap have been frozen? and then used up to make batches over time to get to the proper dilution?

I realize this is long over now - but could the liquid soap have been frozen?
@Pyewacket Many LS'ers like to dilute portions at a time as needed. Just like hard soap, liquid soap doesn't need to be frozen to keep. Some people store it in the fridge, but it's not necessary.
then used up to make batches over time to get to the proper dilution?
My advice: Here's what I did when I was first learning to make LS in 2004.
Make a batch of LS using 12 ounces of oils.
That makes 16 oz. of soap.
Divide the 16 oz. into four 4 oz. portions.

From there you can test any variety of dilutions until you find one that suits you.

DILUTION TIP:
100% Coconut oil LS: 40% soap to 60% dilution water
100% Olive Oil LS: 15%-20% soap to 85%-80% dilution water.
All other formulas will fall within that range.

You will know when you reach the perfect viscosity when a film starts to form on the surface. Add a bit more water to fully incorporate the film and you're done.

The ratios result in somewhat watery LS compared to the commercial stuff. That's just the nature of the beast. If it lathers well, cleanses well, and rinses off easily that's what you want to achieve.

That being said, everyone has a personal preference when it comes to viscosity.

HTH & HAPPY SOAPING!

Back