Castile Soap Have ZERO Foam- What went wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gheita

Reaction score
Hi, You All.
I tried to make castile soap - it is a complete disaster but I want to try again.

I appreciate your help and input - I really want to make our own castile soap.

I did not run the recipe through the soap calc simple because the recipe substitute the water and I did not know if it will work the same so I followed the video to a T

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VUGV_H7bZU[/ame]

Heat 9 oz of glycerine to 200 F + (use glycerine in place of water)
Add 3 oz KOH to glycerine remove from heat stir till all bubbles are gone
BE CAREFUL IT COULD BOIL OVER

Add glycerine to heated
13oz Olive Oil
1.5oz coconut
1.5oz castor oil
Work with stick blender until very thick
Cook for 1.5 hours on low
Use equal parts warm water and paste and disolve water need to be clear

Add 3:1 ratio distilled boiling water to soap base
Put crock on warm and let stand overnight

Last edited:
Hi Gheita!

Normally, Soapmaking 101 has some wonderful A+ tutorials, but I confess that I have a few disagreements with the instructions she gives in the particular video above.

The biggest issue at the top of my list regards the instructions she gives (and shows) for dissolving her KOH into the glycerin. There's a much better and safer way to do it than the one she shows, and also- it looks like she did not make sure the KOH was completely dissolved and the solution completely clear before she added it to the oils, which I confess made me cringe as I watched her pour the KOH/glycerin into the oils (i.e., because of all the bits of KOH floating in the glycerin and sticking to the side of the mixing vessel).

It's very important that the KOH is completely dissolved and the solution completely clear before adding it to the oils. If you followed the video to a T like you said, it makes me wonder how much of your KOH may have gotten left behind. If too much was left behind, it would cause an overly superfatted soap, which in turn will affect the lather in a negative way. Did your KOH/glycerin solution happen to look like hers in the video?

Also- I disagree with her assertion that it needs to cook for 1.5 hours once it reaches the stage shown in the video. You can cook it if you want to, but it's actually not necessary. For what it's worth, I (and several others) personally never cook ours. We just take it off the heat and check it for zap at that point.

Speaking only for myself, my paste normally does not zap when it has reached the point shown in the video, but if it does, I just let it sit on my counter off the heat (but covered) and check for zap periodically over the next hour or so until no more is detected. Once it passes the zap test (which does not take very long at all), it's ready to be diluted.

Re: the clarity test- it is not necessary if the paste passes the zap test.

We have several threads on the forum that explain how to make liquid soap via the glycerin method that have more thorough instructions. Here is one of them: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46114

IrishLass :)

Re: the clarity test- it is not necessary if the paste passes the zap test.

We have several threads on the forum that explain how to make liquid soap via the glycerin method that have more thorough instructions. Here is one of them: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46114

IrishLass :)

Thanks so much for this concise and informative recap of previous posts you've written on this subject. I thought I had carefully read your and other's posts on gls but somehow I missed this information on how the clarity test is not really necessary.

Last edited:
^^^^What IrishLass said!!

Her (modified later in the thread) GLS recipe is what I use. I love it. It makes perfect liquid soap for whatever dilution rate you like.

There is no need to do a clarity test on liquid soap. This is a throwback to Catherine Failor's book. If the paste gels, and passes a zap test, it is done. Period. Clarity has far more to do with oil choices than anything else.

There is also no need to cook. CP liquid soap is easy, fast, and convenient.

I understand you think you have enough liquid soap, but it is as addicting as CP bar soap, so you will find ways to give it away or use it to be able to make more. And no one will be judging your swirls.

I understand you think you have enough liquid soap, but it is as addicting as CP bar soap, so you will find ways to give it away or use it to be able to make more. And no one will be judging your swirls.

Susie, from all I have read on these threads, it seems most people do not use a preservative with their liquid soaps because either they are making them just for home use and using them quickly, or diluting with water only as needed. What is your current practice/opinion on the preservative issue?

Susie, from all I have read on these threads, it seems most people do not use a preservative with their liquid soaps because either they are making them just for home use and using them quickly, or diluting with water only as needed. What is your current practice/opinion on the preservative issue?

Please, Scooter, dear heart, delete this question and start a new topic in the liquid soap forum where it can benefit all who've wondered the same thing.

TIA

CeeMoor we had this discussion, I believe in LS thread, and we do preserve the LS. Susie had a mold or something growing on her paste when she left it in the cabinet

I do NOT use preservative. I would use preservative if I sold my liquid soap. I limit who I give the soap to, and limit how much they receive to limit how long it will hang around their houses, so I know they do not need a preservative. If I give them a lot of fairly concentrated soap, they are instructed to refrigerate it. Otherwise they only get small amounts. My son gets paste because he has made liquid soap with me before, so he knows how to dilute.

Please, Scooter, dear heart, delete this question and start a new topic in the liquid soap forum where it can benefit all who've wondered the same thing.

TIA

Indeed, this got lost, and I missed it. Good practice to get into is just starting a new thread.

CeeMoor we had this discussion, I believe in LS thread, and we do preserve the LS. Susie had a mold or something growing on her paste when she left it in the cabinet

"We" do not share one belief on the LS thread. I had a bottle of diluted liquid soap that I kept at room temperature over 3 years before it grew mold.

I preserve mine as well. Don't want bad stuff on my skin which can cause more issues

I started making soap to get away from things that could be causing my skin issues. I dilute small amounts (no more than I can go through in a month typically) from refrigerated paste. Which, to me, is one of the best things about liquid soap. I can dilute, color, and scent small amounts when I want them.

If I sold, I would absolutely use a preservative in my liquid soap. I do not sell, so any chances I take only affect me and my family.

You don't need to preserve the paste, but one you add water ickies can start to grow quickly. If it's just for you and it's a risk you are willing to take that's fine. Just keep in mind that if you get bacteria growing and it gets on an open wound you could be asking for issues. So, it's totally up to you. :)

The title of this thread is " Castile Soap Have ZERO Foam- What went wrong?"
Sigh. Well, all I can say is, I tried. Lots of good info is going to get buried with this hijack because "preservatives in LS" doesn't fit the subject. KWIM? I hope we can agree that if we want to digress, ESPECIALLY with a "hot topic" like this, it really is best to start a new thread. Please and pretty please.Or not. I'm the 'New Kid on the Block'. Whadda I know anyway, eh?! LOL

Sigh. Well, all I can say is, I tried. Lots of good info is going to get buried with this hijack because "preservatives in LS" doesn't fit the subject. KWIM? I hope we can agree that if we want to digress, ESPECIALLY with a "hot topic" like this, it really is best to start a new thread. Please and pretty please.Or not. I'm the 'New Kid on the Block'. Whadda I know anyway, eh?! LOL
Sometimes in this forum we get sidetracked....:)

Zany-I bet I know who you are...:D

Carolyn, thanks for the giggle. I needed that! (HUG)
Susie, I think I know who you are, too. Have I told you lately that I love you?!!! Hee hee

Back