Castile project - pomace or EVO and Castor for SF?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by RogueRose, Sep 23, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1

RogueRose

RogueRose

RogueRose

I'd like to make an authentic castile and would really like it to be "authentic" but I would also like the lather from some castor oil and if I'm SF'ing (or lye discount by 5%), then is the 5% castor actually making it not fully castile soap?

here is a print out of the 4 different recipes with EVO, OO Pomace, and each with castor. Sorry it is a little "faded" my screen froze and I had to take a screen shot before the program crashed.

The main difference is that when adding Castor, the creamy goes up by 5 and the bubbly goes up by 5 (from 0) and the hardenss drops by one.

I want to make one large recipe and put it away to age to see if it gets hard. Anyone have any experience or suggestions here?

[​IMG]

2. Sep 23, 2014 #2

bodhi

bodhi

bodhi

I have lots of experience with castile. Its creamy and its hard, and its not castile if you use castor.

3. Sep 23, 2014 #3

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter

As Bodhi says, adding Castor would make it a Bastile soap, not a Castile - no matter what Dr Bonner tries to tell you, if there is any other oil than Olive Oil, it is NOT a Castile.

I made mine with a 5% lye discount, plain water, only OO (of course!) and no colours or fragrance. After a decent cure - some people consider 1 year to be the MINIMUM cure time for a Castile - the lather is both creamy and bubbly.

bodhi and RogueRose like this.
  4. Sep 23, 2014 #4

soapgirltami

soapgirltami

soapgirltami

I have made many loaves of true castile soap. The cute time is a little bit of a wait, I cure almost 12 months, I get a really great lather. You'd be surprised

Tami

5. Sep 23, 2014 #5

soapgirltami

soapgirltami

soapgirltami

*cure, not cute, lol

Tami

6. Sep 23, 2014 #6

Lifetime Supporter

I will also add that EVOO will likely give a greenish tint. I used normal OO, not EVOO or pomace, and got a lovely creamy colour.

7. Sep 23, 2014 #7

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

I made a bastile once with 5% castor and honestly, I didn't see much of a difference in lather. If you want true castile, stick with pomace and give a good cure. You can add a bit of sugar to help with bubbles.

RogueRose likes this.
  8. Sep 25, 2014 #8

RogueRose

RogueRose

RogueRose

What I have found strange is that I can't find light or plain OO that is less expensive than EVOO.

9. Sep 25, 2014 #9

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Have you looked for pomice OO? I can find it locally for around $16 for a gallon and I live in a very small town. Any large grocery store should carry it. You can use EVOO but your bars will be a strange yellowy green

10. Jan 12, 2015 #10

Bubli

Bubli

Bubli

Obsidian, I am about to make first true castile soap with EVOO. i have made many other soaps at this point,but not a true castile. I figured I'd plug my question here verses start another thread. Is it beneficial to add sugar, salt and how much. And would using the 1% citric acid affect the soap in a negative way concidering the lather is supposed to be pretty low? Thanks :)

11. Jan 12, 2015 #11

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

I wouldn't add salt, castile gets plenty hard on its own. If you are worried about it taking awhile to unmold, use a water discount. I really don't know if sugar will help that much but it doesn't hurt to try. I would use 1-2 tsp ppo.
    Why do you want to use citric acid? I use it to reduce soap scum but have never tried it in castile so I can't help there. EVOO will make a really icky chartreuse colored soap, I have some curing now and they are awful looking. The bars made with pomace and a nice creamy white.