Castile Curing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queso Blanco ad Queso Fresco are similar cheeses used in Mexico. Both are fresh, unaged cheeses. As with all cheese, and especially the fresh cheeses, storage is important to prevent spoiling. My guess is that the bad cheese you had, gdawgs, was not stored properly somewhere along the line (refrigeration failure sometime after production and before you used it). Another possibility of course is that it was contaminated in production and was doomed from the start.

I use fresh cheese a lot and rarely run into one that turns out like your experience. I don't like Queso Blanco by itself, but it and Queso Fresco are staples in Mexican dishes, so with added spices I have learned to accept them. My favorite Mexican cheese is Cream Mexicana, a sour cream, that I love on tacos, a dollop on soups or chile.

The soap, originally posted sure does look like cheese! I don't recall what cheese it was that I had that looked like that when I cut it open. I will pretty much try any cheese out there. Don't always like them, but I will always try them as long as there is no actual meat in them. But I have what some may consider strange tastes. I like horseradish cheese and bitter cheeses. Not a fan of sweetness, though, so cheese that doesn't balance sweetness with bitterness, I just don't like.

I don't often cut soap open during the cure, but it is interesting to see what it looks like inside. Since I started using colorants more and more, it doesn't seem like a useful exercise, though. But with your soap, it is really cool to see what it looks like inside.

Latest posts

Back