Caryodendron orinocense (cacay oil)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amisacho

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I'm exploring local oils to my region (Ecuadorian Amazon) for saponifying to give value to the diversity in the indigenous communities.
One well known oil is called cacay oil (Caryodendron orinocense) a tree nut, has anybody heard of it? perhaps there's other common names.
I'm looking for knowledge about its fatty acids so that I can get a better understanding of how to incorporate into a Soap Calc!
Thanks for any tips!!!

1673620432326.png

cacay oil (Caryodendron orinocense) a tree nut

Thank you for introducing us to waht looks to be an amazing oil!

After a bit of research, it is not readily available here but I believe it to be an essential oil, i.e., it has no fatty acid profile that would be necessary to use for making soap.

Read about it here:
CACAY (Caryodendron orinocense) NUT OIL

TIPS: Use it to fragrance your favorite soap formula --- or my fave for aging skin, Zany's No Slime Castile. :thumbs: :)
The Basic Trinity of Oils (for all types of skin) would be another good choice.

This is just me, but my preference would be to use it in leave-on products like lotion, cream, toner, or face serum, etc. to optimize its most beneficial use. :thumbs:

Wow, what an interesting oil — how fortunate you are to have such a wonderful local product! I've used several South American oils but had not come across this one. I found this scientific paper which looks like it should have the information you need, but don't have access to the whole thing: FATTY ACIDS CONTENT OF KAHAI (CARYODENDRON ORINOCENSE KARST) SEEDS CULTIVATED IN AMAZONIAN OF ECUADOR | Semantic Scholar

The site above does show some tables and figures for free, along with the abstract. One of these tables shows that perhaps walnut oil might be the closest in fatty acid composition, at least to the only ones they list. But I'm not very knowledgeable about the science involved, so hopefully others will be able to provide you with more information. Good luck!
Table2-1_Cacay-Kahai_oil.png

Table1-1_Cacay-Kahai_oil.png

https://www.natureinbottle.com/product/cacay_kahai_oilhi thank! it's definitely a vegetable oil and not an essential oil but i can understand your suggestions to use it for other products if it doesn't meet the fatty acid recquirements, thanks for that.
here's a link i just found about its fatty acid content but i don't know how to interpret those values, which is why i love the soap calc, until i can find a resource to teach me how to formulate better!

Wow, what an interesting oil — how fortunate you are to have such a wonderful local product! I've used several South American oils but had not come across this one. I found this scientific paper which looks like it should have the information you need, but don't have access to the whole thing: FATTY ACIDS CONTENT OF KAHAI (CARYODENDRON ORINOCENSE KARST) SEEDS CULTIVATED IN AMAZONIAN OF ECUADOR | Semantic Scholar
This is such great information, thank you! In the SoapmakingFriend.com calculator, you can use that fatty acid profile to add Kahai/Cacay Oil to the calculator for use in making soap. I'm not sure if that feature is only available to paid subscribers or if it is also available for free users. I am a paid subscriber, and here is a screen shot of how it looks for me when I click "Add New" at the bottom of the Oils, Fats and Waxes section:

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 10.06.58 AM.png

Last edited:

The site above does show some tables and figures for free, along with the abstract. One of these tables shows that perhaps walnut oil might be the closest in fatty acid composition, at least to the only ones they list. But I'm not very knowledgeable about the science involved, so hopefully others will be able to provide you with more information. Good luck!
View attachment 70388

View attachment 70389
hi there! thanks so much for researching and sharing this article. i just foudn this website too talking about it: Cacay Oil Organic Kahai Oil - Caryodendron Orinocense
I like the reference you make to similar profile like walnut, that really helps me interpret how to use it - since looking at these charts i don't quite understand how to formulate fatty acids yet, or interpret these values, which is why the soap calc is so helpful.
Spekaing of, do you have any course or video/ material resources that could help me understand more about formulation and fatty acid interpretation? i'd love to analyze these values better!
thanks so much!!!!

This is such great information, thank you! In the SoapmakingFriend.com calculator, you can use that fatty acid profile to add Kahai/Cacay Oil to the calculator for use in making soap. I'm not sure if that feature is only available to paid subscribers or if it is also available for free users. I am a paid subscriber, and here is a screen shot of how it looks for me when I click "Add New" at the bottom of the Fats and Oils section:

View attachment 70390
wow that's an amazing feature. thanks for the tip! i'll look further into it!
saludos!

This is such great information, thank you! In the SoapmakingFriend.com calculator, you can use that fatty acid profile to add Kahai/Cacay Oil to the calculator for use in making soap. I'm not sure if that feature is only available to paid subscribers or if it is also available for free users. I am a paid subscriber, and here is a screen shot of how it looks for me when I click "Add New" at the bottom of the Oils, Fats and Waxes section:

View attachment 70390
That is so cool — I didn't know you could add new oils to the calculator! Thanks for showing how.

Latest posts

Back