Carrot Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
I have to say I was surprised recently to learn in a discussion on another thread that "carrot seed oil, cold processed" is listed as a soaping oil on SoapCalc. As far as I know, Carrot Seed Oil is an essential oil and a pricey one at that! Think around $20 per ounce. I have used it in the past for facial and other mature skin treatments. It has a "seedy" smell that is somewhat challenging to cover. I can't imagine how one would use it in a soap formula -- other than as an additive??? Someone PLEASE enlighten me.

On the other hand, CARROT TISSUE OIL can be used in a soap formula, although it is more commonly used in leave-on products. I have used it in facial soap, lotion. suntan oil, creams, balms, lip balms. It is known to be beneficial to the skin. It is also pricey so I make my own by infusing a carrot in sunflower oil, which is the oil used in the Voyager product, according to the INCI nomenclature. You could easily sub olive oil for the sunflower.

MIY CARROT TISSUE OIL

Both carrot oils have qualites that are known to be beneficial to skin and are popular in facial applications. Here's a side-by-side comparision, Carrot Seed Essential OIl on the right; Carrot Tissue Oil on the left, using "Sunflower Oil, high oleic" for the SAP value.

:D
Carrot Oil.png

The essential oil has an INS 0 value whereas the sunflower oil is INS 106.
Which would you use? :D

Last edited:
I have to say I was surprised recently to learn in a discussion on another thread that "carrot seed oil, cold processed" is listed as a soaping oil on SoapCalc. As far as I know, Carrot Seed Oil is an essential oil and a pricey one at that! Think around $20 per ounce. I have used it in the past for facial and other mature skin treatments. It has a "seedy" smell that is somewhat challenging to cover. I can't imagine how one would use it in a soap formula -- other than as an additive??? Someone PLEASE enlighten me.

On the other hand, CARROT TISSUE OIL can be used in a soap formula, although it is more commonly used in leave-on products. I have used it in facial soap, lotion. suntan oil, creams, balms, lip balms. It is known to be beneficial to the skin. It is also pricey so I make my own by infusing a carrot in sunflower oil, which is the oil used in the Voyager product, according to the INCI nomenclature. You could easily sub olive oil for the sunflower.

MIY CARROT TISSUE OIL

Both carrot oils have qualites that are known to be beneficial to skin and are popular in facial applications. Here's a side-by-side comparision, Carrot Seed Essential OIl on the right; Carrot Tissue Oil on the left, using "Sunflower Oil, high oleic" for the SAP value.

:D
View attachment 64740
The essential oil has an INS 0 value whereas the sunflower oil is INS 106.
Which would you use? :D
Wow at that price I’d only use in skin care products & a small amount thinking it could stain?

@Zany_in_CO

I've just seen your post about carrot seed oil and this is what I've read:

1. Cold process Carrot Seed Oil a.k.a Daucus Carota is derived from wild carrots......very expensive to use in soap
2. Cold process Carrot Seed Oil from regular carrots........much cheaper than Daucus Carota.
3. Macerated carrot infused oil.........any oil is used for the infusion.......you're calling it "MIY Carrot Tissue Oil"
4. Carrot Seed Essential Oil is distilled from carrot seeds.......as you say, it's expensive and I agree with you, the smell is difficult to overcome in a product.

The four are always named the same on labels and it's often difficult to know which of the four was used in the product.

Latest posts

Back