Carrot juice soap HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I recently saw a beautiful yellow soap on a fb, using carrot juice. So I had to try it.

l I used carrot juice for total water portion and instead of beautiful yellows I got mustard.... It's like I see so many inspiring soaps and I try and replicate colors and BAM! DOESNT WORK. HP does something to colors and it never looks like cp soaps...I tried.
Preface: I only use natural COLORANTS so I expect that to look more muted and natural but when I want a yellow, mustard is a sad alternative.... :(

(The "green" in the soap is some parsley powder slurry swirls...I suck at them)

Attachments

• PXL_20210106_154454195.jpg
    PXL_20210106_154454195.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20210106_154446136.jpg
    PXL_20210106_154446136.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 52
They should lighten up some. Most my soaps lighten up lots the next day lol and more so after even if they're stored in the dark.

Your green gives it a marble effect. Nice actually :)

They should lighten up some. Most my soaps lighten up lots the next day lol and more so after even if they're stored in the dark.

Your green gives it a marble effect. Nice actually :)
You are too kind. Really too kind. These are total fail for me, color wise. Scent is chamomile (supposed to go with a yellow bar ) and this bar reminds me of a grunge metal band more then chamomile flowers in grassy fields ...oy vey

You are too kind. Really too kind. These are total fail for me, color wise. Scent is chamomile (supposed to go with a yellow bar ) and this bar reminds me of a grunge metal band more then chamomile flowers in grassy fields ...oy vey
Haha no.. My short experience tells me that soap can surprise you lots. Wait n see, it might not turn back to yellow but it'll change for sure. And if it's a good recipe, you and yours won't mind the color, especially if they don't know you wanted yellow lol

I have had better luck using carrot puree, about 1 tablespoon I think, in the lye water solution. I had a pale/soft yellow. Tomato puree also gave me a warm soft yellow too. I was following a recipe from the Pure Soapmaking book from Ann Marie

So, I recently saw a beautiful yellow soap on a fb, using carrot juice. So I had to try it.

l I used carrot juice for total water portion and instead of beautiful yellows I got mustard.... It's like I see so many inspiring soaps and I try and replicate colors and BAM! DOESNT WORK. HP does something to colors and it never looks like cp soaps...I tried.
Preface: I only use natural COLORANTS so I expect that to look more muted and natural but when I want a yellow, mustard is a sad alternative.... :(

To obtain a very orange carrot look I use a combination of carrot juice and pumpkin purée. The natural colors do fade over time. If you can find it Pumpkin Clay will help deepen the color

Attachments

• 72A13177-C6DA-417C-BFB8-89279131D762.jpeg
    72A13177-C6DA-417C-BFB8-89279131D762.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 49

High temperatures are the enemy of natural colorants- try blending at lower temperature & preventing gel phase by freezing

I quite like the look of them... it may not be what you wanted, but still nice. I think they will make great facial bars. Both carrot & parlsey are beneficial to skin. :)

UPDATES ON CARROT JUICE SOAP.

SO...I recreated original batch, just reduced it overall by half and No green parsley swirls. And I HP cooked it on Low Entire time. Took FOREVER TOO COOK but I thought low heat would help retain color....
You can see my results in pics.
:/ Pic with 2 soaps (left soap is HTFLHP carrot soap with parsley swirls. Somehow lighter then this bar I just made on RIGHT: LTHP only carrot juice) why???? Cause coloring soap naturally is insane! Lol. I want to get same results or near every batch. And that. NEVER. happens . :oops:

Attachments

• PXL_20210107_203201680.jpg
    PXL_20210107_203201680.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20210107_203219894.jpg
    PXL_20210107_203219894.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 40
Annato made from seeds of the achiote tree - same thing. You can buy the powdered spice or the seeds. Hot oil infusion will deepen the color; strain the oil to remove the powder or seeds before making the soap. Or you can try it as a lye infusion by adding the annato powder to the lye solution. I have not used it as the latter, but some natural colorants do well with this method.

Another 'natural' yellow colorant is beta carotene. Buy the capsules in the vitamin section of your local pharmacy or where ever you may purchase vitamins; cut open one capsule and add it to some soaping oils reserved from the batch, perhaps your superfat oil?, then add it at the end and mix well. This way, you won't be cooking the beta carotene as long as the rest of the soap and the color may not get cooked away from prolonged heat.

It will fade over time, in my experience, but some have said it lasts for them.

Parsley also fades over time and will disappear completely as a colorant, in my experience. So does spinach, but it comes back if you boil the soap; not sure if it lasts in HP soap, though since you're pretty much boiling the soap to start with. But I think it would still fade.

But using red palm oil is a sure-fire bet that you will get lasting color. You just have to figure out the right proportion of Red PO in the recipe to get the color you want. Less will be yellow, while more will be orange. It does also depend on other factors, like what else is in the formula.

When using food products and some botanicals, I think the more heat you use the more muddy your colors can become, so some natural colorants just don't turn out like you may want in HP soap. That is not always the case, of course, so it takes a lot of dedicated trial and error to learn how to get what you are going for colorwise.

I think your soap is awesome being "All Natural Soap" 💫🧼

I think your soap is awesome being "All Natural Soap" 💫🧼
Thank you all for the feedback, ideas and lovely comments. I'm not giving up on carrot juice just yet. Lol. Call me a glutton for disappointment but I'm going to try a few more things before I disregard carrot juice as a colorant. I sense their untapped potential,I just need to tap in. Lol.

Thank you all for the feedback, ideas and lovely comments. I'm not giving up on carrot juice just yet. Lol. Call me a glutton for disappointment but I'm going to try a few more things before I disregard carrot juice as a colorant. I sense their untapped potential,I just need to tap in. Lol.
Hi @Melysg25 ! I saw your post and thought I’d share . I’ve only used carrot juice once last June and used 1/2 carrot juice of the amount of liquid for lye. The other half was goat milk. So I mixed the lye with the goat milk and then added the carrot juice to the batter later. Cold process—I also added poppy seeds because I was going for a lemon poppy seed bar but I regret it as it probably would have made a nice face soap and now it’s more of a hand soap. My daughter likes it as a shower soap though so..Anyway, it makes a nice bright yellow . Maybe a 2/3 goat milk to lye and 1/3 carrot juice to batter would make it paler? The color hasn’t faded though .

Attachments

• 5AF61655-4A34-4268-B47F-7FE7C0C98FFA.png
    5AF61655-4A34-4268-B47F-7FE7C0C98FFA.png
    489.7 KB · Views: 34

07112AFE-6022-4EE3-98C4-E4CC9995CBE9.jpegI too want to make mine all natural so I was really proud of this one since I just got hooked on soap making when I made some for family for Christmas. It was my first try with an insert. The top of sunset is grapefruit peel/turmeric then carrot purée, reddish is tomato paste with paprika and bottom is cocoa powder. Orange works okay for me, trying to find a red is a big challenge. Hope this helps😃

Latest posts

Back