Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathrynS

Reaction score
Hello y’all! I’m a newbie here.
I’ve been making a few different bath products and I did learn long ago that my essential oils need a carrier oil. I have always just assumed that my fragrance oils need a carrier oil as well. I just realized I have no idea if that’s true. I did Google but I haven’t found the answer. If anyone knows I would be grateful!

If you want to use EOs or FOs directly on the skin, yes, they're usually diluted with a carrier oil. For one thing, many EOs and FOs are not skin safe if used full strength (neat). For another, the scent may be too strong to use full strength.

If you want to use EOs or FOs directly on the skin, yes, they're usually diluted with a carrier oil. For one thing, many EOs and FOs are not skin safe if used full strength (neat). For another, the scent may be too strong to use full strength.

I’m using them to make Milk Baths, Sugar Scrubs, sometimes bath bombs, Bath Salt soaks, and bubble bath. In the beginning I used nothing but EO is a carrier oil was standard. Then I discovered Fragrance oils, and I just continued using the carrier. For products like what I described, would it be necessary like it is with the EO? I use Poly 80 to disperse the oil.
But you know what? The carrier oil has skin care properties in and of itself, so I might as well keep it. Just wondering if FO actually needs it in those types of products.

Yes- unless otherwise specified by the vendor, you can safely assume that FOs, like EOs, are normally sold in a concentrated/undiluted state and will need to be properly diluted to their specified safe usage rate by you, the purchaser. Most reputable vendors have a chart of the safe usage rate/dilution % for each FO or EO they sell, according to the type of product you are using it in.

IrishLass :)

For things like bath bombs, the diluent (the "stuff" that the EO or FO is diluted in) is the water in the tub. So you don't specifically need to also use a carrier oil. After the bomb is diluted in the bath water the fragrance should be skin safe, assuming you follow IRFA or other reputable guidelines.

For a sugar scrub, the oil and other liquid ingredients in the scrub is the diluent. I don't include the sugar as a diluent for a scrub.

If you were making a perfume to put directly on your skin, then, yes, you need to use a carrier oil or wax as the diluent.

You have to do something to make the FO or EO a skin safe product at the point of use.

Back