Carpenter’s router into a soap mixer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vas.tzor

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone out there has actually managed to do this let alone entertained the thought. I am at that stage where I need to produce soap in bulk, I have looked around to purchase a professional soap mixer but very expensive for what is essentially just a router on a stand - at least from what I perceive. I have a 1 HP -8 Amp, 17 000 RPM variable speed router in my shop which I rarely use so I figured why not put it to use. I can build a frame to hold the router in place but I am just not sure if the mixing wand will remain stable at high rotational speed. Don’t want to risk injury so hopefully somebody can shed some light.

Be hard, to much work. To reduce speeds on router. Have thought of a paddle mixing attachment. That they use for mixing paint or plaster. Come in several sizes. Available at any local hardware store.

You mentioned a stand, but I am not aware of any soapmakers who use stand mixers to mix their soap batter. Those tend to create a lot of bubbles and splashes. Were you thinking of a commercial stickblender, like these?

I've used the paint/drywall mud paddle mixer attached to a regular cordless drill for mixing up my large container of master-batched oils. It doesn't seem to create any air bubbles or splashes. If you used it for mixing soap batter, it won't create the same high-shear mixing that you would get from a commercial stick-blender with blades instead of paddles - meaning it would take longer to come to trace.

Have you looked in soapmaking destash groups on FB? You might also look at auction sites for restaurant closures.

Back