Cardboard lip balm tubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyne Thrasher

Reaction score
I went ahead and shelled out 15 bucks to get a sample box of paper balm tubes from Benny’s Balms (Etsy). I’ll report back in a week or so how well they hold up to the pocket and car test. Am hopeful but guarded.

Attachments

• EF26B858-CEA6-4488-A5DC-A8F01E2B87F5.jpeg
    EF26B858-CEA6-4488-A5DC-A8F01E2B87F5.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 44
I thought about these since I live is a VERY recycle type state. All of my wrappings are recycle and I don't use plastic -- other then tubs for butters.
But I really didn't want to run the edge on my lip and get a cardboard cut.................. yes.... leave it to me to get one of these.
I am the one that always have a cut on my from 'something'

There is a Bee company that sells lip balm bees wax that uses these. Not sure what else is in their product but I think it is mainly beeswax when I peeked.

I tried a lip balm in a paper tube and hated it. I found the edge became soft over time, I guess I tend to not roll my balm up far enough or if the balm itself softens in the summer it gets to messy. So I simply will not purchase a balm in a cardboard tube, or any other type of balm in cardboard.

curious kitten here. I have not seen them around my area, but was aware of their existence. I would like to try them for personal use at least - I go through a LOT of lip balm which was part of the reason for making it - and feel a bit guilty tossing that empty tube, but too grossed out to recycle it for another (personal) lip balm use. I suspect my current recipe would need some tweaking as it's a really "light" balm. I may wander off to see if there's some on Amazon... either a lip balm to buy or the tubes...

A few months ago I purchased a cardboard packaged Lip Balm from Juniper Seed Mercantile and it's still holding up pretty well.
It's sturdy and the edge has not softened. I wonder what their source is!

A few months ago I purchased a cardboard packaged Lip Balm from Juniper Seed Mercantile and it's still holding up pretty well.
It's sturdy and the edge has not softened. I wonder what their source is!
It is probably more their recipe then the tube.

I just looked at their site. NOT legal labeling on the soaps.
'I cut them close to 2.5 oz' ...... I stop looking at anyone's soap if it is NOT labeled correctly. That just shows me that they should not be selling anything.

sorry that just chaps my patookus

The subject matter was cardboard packaging. I believe we are trying to find sources for the same.
I have the package in my hand and it is very well made.
I shall wait to hear from Carolyne once she does her testing.

The subject matter was cardboard packaging. I believe we are trying to find sources for the same.
I have the package in my hand and it is very well made.
I shall wait to hear from Carolyne once she does her testing.
...and sometimes we tend to give a little OT information. Just kinda goes that way plus the OP did not state she was looking where to purchase the paper tubes but she ordered some and will update how she likes them.

I agree with cmzaha. She didn’t ask where to purchase. We expressed our experience with using them.

@Daisy you are free to try them yourself as well. Everyone likes different things sometimes.

Ya know, nice idea about the cardboard stuff, but you CAN NOT recycle oil-soiled cardboard.
They exclude pizza boxes for this exact reason.

I wouldn't want to use the lip balm tube but maybe the jars if it really could be recycled.

I for one won't be buying any cardboard lip balm tubes. At the rate that my resident nephew's lip balm (made by me, packaged in plastic tubes) seems to have made it into my washing machine via his pants pockets, I'd probably have to fork out money for a new washer if they were packaged in cardboard. lol The plastic tubes hold up great, by the way, and my balm actually comes out unscathed!

Never believe your 21-year-old nephew when he tells you he emptied out all his pockets before putting them in the hamper. After 3 times of finding his tube of lip balm in my washer, I'm double-checking before anything goes into the wash.

IrishLass :)

Some communities compost for the consumers. I am not sure how common that is overall across this or other nations. But in every community where I have lived that collected a separate can for yard waste (here and in California), that yard waste is composted by the collection agency. Even when they did that where I lived, I still did my own composting, but we just don't do it anymore since we don't garden as much as previously.

However, in our community the cardboard tubes with lip balm would not be allowed in the yard waste container because of the waxes, oils and what not. So without actual home-site composting, it would have to end up in the regular trash. In spite of that, it would still deteriorate very quickly at the dump, and eventually turn to compost as it filtered down to the bottom of the rubbish pile. Knowing that, I would be be willing to give them a try if I ever run across one.

I'd probably have to alter the way I use lip balm tubes though. Meaning, I wouldn't feel it safe to keep in my pocket or leave in my car because the added heat would probably cause enough softening of the contents causing some infiltration and softening of the cardboard.

Latest posts

Back