Capping tube moulds (PVC pipe)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I've read that some other people use PVC pipe as moulds and I was wondering what others use for the bottom end of the mould (to seal the bottom end)? Do you use a PVC cap or do you use something else? I haven't gotten any caps yet as I have always used whatever was adequate size and hot glued around the edges (wasn't set on using it as a permanent mould so never bought caps).

For anyone looking for a temporary end for 3" ID PVC pipe, a wide mouth mason lid works very nicely, you have to glue the ENTIRE way around. Place tube on the top/shiny side of the lid then run a bead of hot glue around the edge so that it touches both the pipe and the lid. It is best not to put glue on the lid then press the pipe into it I've found as it often leaves gaps that the soap always finds. Other lids work well for smaller sizes. I've also used old prescription bottles. I'd cut all of the top of the bottle off except for about .75" at the bottom then use that bottom (upside down) to act as a cap - usually tack with hot glue to make sure.

I couldn't find any proper end caps for my PVC molds so I have to improvise. I use a cottage cheese container lid or similar thin plastic lid. I cut it to size so it fits over a open end then tape it in place. With a few layers of masking tape, it won't leak and it makes a nice slick surface.

The first and only time I used PVC I used an end cap. Hard part was getting the cap off to unmold the soap.

The first and only time I used PVC I used an end cap. Hard part was getting the cap off to unmold the soap.

That is what I was afraid of if I used an end cap. I guess the glued on lid I'm using might be one of the best options.

Latest posts

Back