Can't make "scents"of this

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjude

Reaction score
Well, I bought a bar of chocolate swirl soap online last month. It really didn't smell like chocolate to me, but whatever scent it had was pleasant and it lathered well so everything was ok. The label listed many oils including shea, co, palm and pko.

In the last week or so, as the bar is getting pretty thin, I have just begun to smell the '"chocolate". Only having used fo in a few of my soaps, I'm wondering what's taken so long for the chocolate scent to appear?

Haven't had a cold, no allergies, not anything has changed with my ability to smell. Quite confusing!

This brings another question to mind, if i wanted to use 1 oz ppo of fo in my soap and use more than one scent at a time - how do I know how much of each scent to use? 1/2 oz of scent one and 1/2 oz of scent two? What if I wanted to use three fos? Is there a way experiment without wasting ingredients?

I bought BB"s fo sampler pack plus some others which sound nice, but don't see anything other than if an fo turns your soap brown on their website.

Thanks!

Jude

For fragrance blends, I've been putting a cotton ball inside a small glass baby food jar, then adding the fragrances by the drop. An adhesive label is slapped onto the jar with notes on how many drops of what went into it, and then it's lidded and put aside for a couple of days. Then I give it a whiff (not with my nose right in the jar, from a little bit of a distance) to see how it smells.

One of my new favorite scents was discovered that way. It sounded awful on paper, and smelled just as awful when the EOs were first added to the jar, but after putting the lid on it and letting it sort of meld for a few days, it was heavenly. Makes it pretty easy to try out experimental blends without using up a lot of the oils.

heyjude said:
Well, I bought a bar of chocolate swirl soap online last month. It really didn't smell like chocolate to me, but whatever scent it had was pleasant and it lathered well so everything was ok. The label listed many oils including shea, co, palm and pko.

In the last week or so, as the bar is getting pretty thin, I have just begun to smell the '"chocolate". Only having used fo in a few of my soaps, I'm wondering what's taken so long for the chocolate scent to appear?

Haven't had a cold, no allergies, not anything has changed with my ability to smell. Quite confusing!

This brings another question to mind, if i wanted to use 1 oz ppo of fo in my soap and use more than one scent at a time - how do I know how much of each scent to use? 1/2 oz of scent one and 1/2 oz of scent two? What if I wanted to use three fos? Is there a way experiment without wasting ingredients?

I bought BB"s fo sampler pack plus some others which sound nice, but don't see anything other than if an fo turns your soap brown on their website.

Thanks!

Jude

i havent mixed to many scents, afraid to screw it up! I did do almond and coconut, twice now, i use an ounce of each, 30 oz batch.
I did lavender/ cinnamon, wasnt very good.(eos)
I did pink sugar/almond, that was good, but discolors.
Oh ,and I did lime/coconut, cant smell coconut . at all.

That sounds like a great way to do it. Silly questions- as you add the drops of your fo's do you try to "drop" them all in the same spot? And do you use a separate dropper for each scent? That might mean alot of droppers!

:) jude

The soapmaker might not have used a lot of the chocolate fragrance to start with (or maybe the soap was just getting old), so the scent may have faded from the outer edges of the soap. It would be more potent on the inside of the soap where it has had less time to evaporate out.

That makes sense. Daniel. It does smell nice, just not quite what i had expected.

Thanks, Honor for the almond/coconut suggestion. It's making me hungry!

Jude

Latest posts

Back