can't hang on to soap when using it

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have pretty much used what was at hand though I will slowly take and incorporate suggestions though very slowly cause I am cheap
Some of us "old-timers" can identify with your situation. That's the way I started out. Using milk cartons, a trash bag to line a cardboard box (produced awfully wrinkled soaps!), 4" plastic saucers you put under plants -- they were only pennies a piece back then and nothing was as expensive as it is today. :(

As a deer hunter, I'm wondering if you have plans to render the fat to make deer tallow soaps?
Here's a recent thread on the subject that you may find of some interest:

HAS ANYONE MADE DEER TALLOW SOAP

Last edited:
In the process of rendering now and I have watched that thread.
Cool! :thumbs::cool:

I use two of the three of the basic trinity oils. Lard base, 20 percent coconut and 5 percent castor.
:thumbs:Nice! I'm one of the "Lardinators on SMF". That recipe looks good to me! I think people who have never tried lard miss out on one of the best all-around soaps to make. It's a good thing! ;)

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.04.27 AM.png

Last edited:
Juice and milk cartons were my only molds when I first started. Then I upgraded to silicone molds that came from Goodwill...the kind that were so thin they almost spilled the batter out the long sides of the molds. Us soapers are thrifty and there is nothing wrong with that! When I finally decided that I wanted to make soap on a regular basis, I finally spent the money to collect a better selection of molds...the kind I didn't have to prop up with bubble wrap or other stuffing in order to maintain a square or oblong shape.

My grandson's favorite soap is exactly what you have. I've learned over the years that the longer it cures the milder it gets. For my "older" skin, I have cut the coconut oil to between 5-10%. But almost all of my soaps still have some percentage of lard in them. I think it makes a wonderful soap.

I did notice the pure lard last longer then the above recipe but I also only had a 20 day cure and I do admit the above recipe has tons of bubbles compared to pure lard. Both seem to clean fine to my uneducated pallet. My sister says the above recipe takes paint off their hands better then commercial bars. Yes, I do know I need a longer cure but it is hard when being a new soap maker and being excited about what you make. I hope to do better now that we have some substandard bars to hold us over while the rest are cured properly.
Cheers
gww

Mobjack bay
I did show my mom the bags but I think she is going to try the liquid. She said the soap was great everywhere but how to say this delicately, it was a little harsh on her bottom.
Cheers
gww

Sounds like you have a solution but I wanted to throw this out just in case. I use an organza bag for my soap pieces. It feels lightly exfoliating on some of my skin, but I have sensitive areas from radiation treatment last year. For those spots I just rub the soap bag in my hands for a couple seconds and then apply the resulting lather to the skin. I do this as well for my face.

I also have small hands (the man says they're "girly" lol) and drop soap easily. Rectangular bars cut in half are good for me; circular soap is even better. (And I liked the suggestion of a textured additive - this forum is a treasure trove!).

Hope

Latest posts

Back