Can't get soap out of the bottle!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelbyw

Reaction score
I made my first batch of liquid soap using castile soap and distilled water. I found that this was too watery, so I added some salt. It turned out very well, and I proceeded to fill our dispensers with the soap. I stored the remaining soap in a 2 liter plastic pop bottle. A couple of weeks has passed, I have now tried to fill the dispensers again, and find that I am unable to get the soap out of the pop bottle!!!
What did I do wrong? Can it be fixed?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome Shelby! :wave:

Did you happen to make the liquid soap out of a solid bar of castile soap and distilled water (that's what it sounds like to me)? If so, those results are pretty much par for the course, unfortunately. When it comes to making liquid soap, it's really the worst way to do it, in spite of what countless blogers on the webosphere say. It normally turns into really thick goop. Blech!

The best way to make liquid soap is from scratch, using KOH. Have you taken a look at our liquid soap-making section here on the forum? If not, I invite you to take a hop over to that section and do some reading on how to make it from scratch. It's actually very easy to do, and so much more rewarding. The resulting soap you'll get from making it from scratch is top-notch and won't harden up in your storage bottle once properly diluted.

IrishLass :)

What Irish Lass said. I will add if you did make a bar soap and water mixture that there is no real fix to make this mixture stay flowable. If you continue to add water, the mixture will loosen up ... for awhile ... and then it will eventually firm back up to a Jello or egg-white consistency. The soap may eventually get so diluted, it can't do a good job of cleaning.

Latest posts

Back