Can't get over how cool these soaps look and sound

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the looks of their soaps, but reading their ingredients I don't think they are all that different than what most of the experienced soapers here make. The stamps do stand out, but I think any of us can do the same "look" if we wanted it. Not too hard to re-create. If you are going for that "look" I think you could duplicate it pretty well with just some creativity. :grin:

I'm sure it could be duped. I payed $50 just for 1 soap stamp, I wouldn't be able to do that for every single soap I made. I like the chunky look of the soap, or "old fashioned" look. I tell people what certain ingredients in my soap do. I always wondered how close to making a claim you can get before it's actually a claim??

I don't even know what I would do with an 11oz bar of soap besides slip with it and have it hit the floor, on my toe likely, a bazillion times.
pretty but way too big IMO

I don't even know what I would do with an 11oz bar of soap besides slip with it and have it hit the floor, on my toe likely, a bazillion times.
pretty but way too big IMO

I would cut it up :)

I have seen these folks on Etsy and apparently their soaps have superpowers that warrant the superprices ;)

Their soaps do look and sound fabulous - but so do those of many artisans with more humble prices and less hype!

Maybe I'm just confused (wouldn't be anything new), but in some places on this site they make a point of saying their soap is 100% natural and that they use no synthetic fragrance oils and in other places they mention using only 'skin-safe' fragrance oils.
I clicked on a few of the soaps to see the ingredients and they don't seem to be consistent in listing either EO or FO in the ingredient list, yet the descriptions talk about the wonderful fragrances.
Sounds like at least some FO's were used in this one:
http://www.naturalhandcraftedsoap.com/soap_view.cfm?soap_id=15&expandable=6
And this one just says "Pear berry scented" in the list of ingredients...a little ambiguous to state it nicely:
http://www.naturalhandcraftedsoap.com/soap_view.cfm?soap_id=44&expandable=4
Am I missing something?

Soap stamps are fairly easy and cheap to make yourself. All you need is some casting resin, duct tape, a bar of soap to carve(I'm sure we all have plenty of those), and some patience. Oh and some wood for the handle. A steady hand doesn't hurt either, lol!

Maybe I'm just confused (wouldn't be anything new), but in some places on this site they make a point of saying their soap is 100% natural and that they use no synthetic fragrance oils and in other places they mention using only 'skin-safe' fragrance oils.
I clicked on a few of the soaps to see the ingredients and they don't seem to be consistent in listing either EO or FO in the ingredient list, yet the descriptions talk about the wonderful fragrances.
Sounds like at least some FO's were used in this one:
http://www.naturalhandcraftedsoap.com/soap_view.cfm?soap_id=15&expandable=6
And this one just says "Pear berry scented" in the list of ingredients...a little ambiguous to state it nicely:
http://www.naturalhandcraftedsoap.com/soap_view.cfm?soap_id=44&expandable=4
Am I missing something?

I noticed that too. By law on soap you don't have to list any of your ingredients so I think they're using that loophole and fooling ppl about the fragrances they add.

Nothing makes my heart flutter like looking at pictures of Savon de Marseille,
http://www.savon-de-marseille.com/en/products/authentics.html
or pictures of those amazing stacks of soap in a Turkish soap shop,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29095720@N06/2872174457/
so regardless of their absurd claims, I just love looking at these soaps!!! Big, chunky, beefy hunks of soap. Be still my heart!

It's funny, after all the micas and swirls and oxides and pencil lines and layers and other things I've done to manipulate the soaps I've made, I find myself coming full circle. These days I'm really being drawn toward the unsullied, natural-looking bars. I can see myself definitely moving in that direction. So I am loving the look of these soaps, stamps and all. I'd like to order one of each and never use them, just sit them on a shelf and gaze at them. (Part of this rapture may be due to the fact that I've been up since five this morning....but not much, lol.) Thank you, thank you, for this lovely soap p**n!

Oh Bex, you asked how close you can get to a claim without actually making one..... you can't touch it with a ten foot pole. You can't infer, or hint, or nudge people into thinking that your soap will do anything but get them clean. Nothing else.

Last edited:
Omg, savon de Marseille looooooove. I could look at those all day. Actually for the last week I've been contemplating how to make a soap that looked similar. But you know, they just don't make soap molds like that available to us. Unless we find ourselves a master mold maker (anyone's hubby?).

Thinking this morning again about what we can't say about our soaps and what we can. The best thing we can do as soapmakers is to educate our customers. We can ask our customers if they would rather wash with Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate , Stearic Acid , Sodium Tallowate or Sodium Palmitate , Lauric Acid , Sodium Isethionate , Water , Sodium Stearate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine or Sodium C14-C16 Olefin Sulfonate , Sodium Cocoate or Sodium Palm Kernelate , Fragrance , Sodium Chloride , Tetrasodium EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Titanium Dioxide (the ingredients in Dove) or with ingredients like olive oil, goat's milk, coconut oil, etc.

Most people never actually read a list of ingredients. If you can show them what they've been using, and what you have to offer....the choice is pretty obvious. No absurd claims are necessary.

That's a good point. Maybe the next time I go set up at a Farmer's market I'll bring a commercial bar if soap with me so I can show people what they've been putting on their skin

IMHO : i find that the soap once put into someones hand and they use it it will speak for itself . i have given my neighbors , family , friends , a bar or two to try just only saying its handmade soap . everyone comes back totally hooked wanting to know what is in , and stating claims of their own ,i.e: how it has removed blemishes , marks on the skin, stop dryness and so on . so saying all of that i will say this , no need to worry about making claims , if you are asked about the ingredients that goes into your soap then freely talk about them ...... always keep this in mind >> "if you build it they will come "
go ahead and make a great bar of soap to introduce to your public and just put it in their hands , the soap will do the rest :)

what about saying "this one is good for sensitive skin"? Technically a claim, but I don't think the customer will run to the FDA to report us. I think as long as it's not on the label we can't get sued or whatever they would do. If you don't say "this will for sure clear up your acne within 2 weeks", to me thats really pushing it. Seems like it would be ok to tell someone that aloe is soothing.

That's a good point. Maybe the next time I go set up at a Farmer's market I'll bring a commercial bar if soap with me so I can show people what they've been putting on their skin

Just cut the ingredients off the box or wrapping and take that, if you use anything with a brand you can get in trouble.

Back