Cant find old recipe...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickie

Reaction score
An earlier post made me wonder about this.Years back when I started soaping I had come a cross a small recipe 1-2 pnds that I poured into those little rubbermaid drawer organizers. It was a recipe using Crisco, and other simple oils like Olive, and Coconut Oil..It was then scented and colored just by the honey.. Does anyone know of this? I have a friend wanting to come over and learn to make CP. She wants to use ingredients that are easy for her to get. Fine, saves me on my expensive stuff :lol: .. So if anyone has a good tried and true"Crisco" type recipe where they have used Honey, please pass it on if you could! Thanks!

Mickie

Thanks Flynn! I get so angry with myself.. I never transfered all my info to disc over the years, and just a month ago my computer crashed.. Lost everything, including recipes, labeling info etc... :(

Mickie

I googled and came up with this, no honey though. :(
Maybe you could add a couple of ounces of honey at thin trace and mix until the soap came to the trace you desire.

Rachael's "Tried and True" Recipe (Thanks! to Rachael Levitan)

48 ounces Crisco (a 3-pound can)
21 ounces Soybean Oil (or Olive, Canola, or a blend of these)
18 ounces Coconut Oil
28 ounces of cold water
12 ounces lye crystals
Temperatures: 100 degrees

Trace by hand should be in about 20 minutes. Cure about 24-48 hours before cutting.

Ok, here is another one. I am going to stop with this or I will be posting too much. :D

Honey Soap

12 oz veg shortening
1 cup distilled water
4 oz coconut oil
2 oz lye
1 oz beeswax
1/4 cup honey
Mix lye and water, allow to cool. Melt vegetable shortening. Over a double boiler, melt wax and coconut oil together together, and keep warm. When shortening is 120* and lye is 100*, pour lye mixture into shortening and stir until tracing occurs. Pour wax and oil mixture into soap mixture stirring constantly (the mixture will get VERY thick with the addition of the beeswax mix) When the beeswax mixture is completely blended, stir in the honey and pour into molds. Unmold after 24-48 hours. Allow to age for 3 weeks.

lsg said:
I googled and came up with this, no honey though :(

Rachael's "Tried and True" Recipe (Thanks! to Rachael Levitan)
48 ounces Crisco (a 3-pound can)
21 ounces Soybean Oil (or Olive, Canola, or a blend of these)
18 ounces Coconut Oil
28 ounces of cold water
12 ounces lye crystals
Temperatures: 100 degrees

Trace by hand should be in about 20 minutes. Cure about 24-48 hours before cutting.

That is a great recipe. It was the first recipe I made and it turned out very well. Although be advised I think that exact recipe makes about 7-lbs of soap.There is also a "Paul's Wal-Mart Soap" recipe floating around that is great for beginners.
I personaly would advise against using honey in a beginner recipe because it can cause overheating and is a little unstable. Cocoa is a readily available coloring agent that I have great success with.

Latest posts

Back