Canola oil, never opened, how long would it be good?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkscents

Reaction score
I just realized I had an unopened jug of canola oil. It was still sealed. It has a use before date of 2007! It tastes okay, but is that any way to check it? Do you think it can still be good?

I would say that if it doesn't smell rancid you could go ahead and use it. I would probably use some Vit E or ROE in it though it may not matter this late after expiration. I also would keep the soaps for my personal use or family and would not sell them. Canola can cause DOS so I would watch them as well. Just my thoughts. :D

Thanks! I purchased a new gallon of canola and compared the two. The old one has what I would call a nutty taste. The new one is tasteless. I'm not going to use the old one! :grin:

My rule of thumb is "If in doubt, throw it out."

I tend to agree.

However, if using the soap at home, I'd say "go for it" as long as there's no scent of musty or rancid in the oil.

If the soap goes bad, toss it. No big loss, except for the lye, time, and effort.

Certainly I'd never recommend giving the soap as gifts or, worse, selling it.

I've used slightly fusty olive oil for home soaping and it's gone well. But the recipe and bars are marked for home use only and I wouldn't let those out of my sight under any circumstances.

Latest posts

Back