Canola & glycerin fail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
Well, nothing went to plan this batch. It was my first time using glycerin to mix colors instead of oil. I mixed it up 1:1 with mica, but it looked stiff and like it wouldn't mix, so I added more glycerin until it was 2:1 glycerin to mica. I hand-stirred, but it wouldn't incorporate well, so I hit it with a stick blender a couple quick times, and it seemed fine.

Then it started setting up and I noticed spots forming, and when I cut it, there were what look like big pockets of glycerin (see first pic below).

Second problem: as I was cleaning up, I noticed I had grabbed the wrong bottle and accidentally used HO canola oil instead of olive! Ahhh! Worse, some of the spots in the green are kind of an orangey-brownish color; so I'm worried it's DOS because of the canola. (see second pic) Would they appear within 24 hours? And what did I do wrong with the glycerin?

syxt7l.jpg

2h6eiya.jpg
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I always use glycerin for my mica and have never had a problem. I use deli cups and in some glycerin then mix in mica until it is the constistency I want. I am with Obsidian and guessing it is fragrance oil that did not get mixed in well. I make soaps with 30% canola (Canolive) and have yet to have dos with it, but I have had dos problems with lard. Obsidian can vouch for that :crazy:
Did you adjust your lye since you used the wrong oil? I am not relating that to your pockets of liquid, they really look like fo

Last edited:
Yes sorry I forgot to mention I did zap test it and it did not zap. I thought it was glycerin because it was clear and a gooey consistency, like glycerin is out of the bottle. My fo was almost colorless - would it turn that orange color?

Carolyn, Blackdog posted on the mistake thread about the oil mix up and I ran the recipe through a calculator for him/her. The lye amount should have been 3.89 instead of 3.91 oz so there will be a smidgen less superfat but, it should be just fine.

Did you gel this batch?

Carolyn, Blackdog posted on the mistake thread about the oil mix up and I ran the recipe through a calculator for him/her. The lye amount should have been 3.89 instead of 3.91 oz so there will be a smidgen less superfat but, it should be just fine.

Did you gel this batch?
That was exactly why I did not really question the lye. It would have just ended up with a difference in the superfat. I was just curious

I have nothing useful to add to this discussion, my brain is dead after a day of packing. I just wanted to say that I really liked your original colors, I hope you will go back and do this soap again :)

Did you gel this batch?

No gel. not_ally thank you, and yes I plan on it! I used NG Bamboo & white grapefruit, which I didn't love oob but it smells great in the soap.

Back