Canola DOS if ROE and Vitamin E used?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holga_me

Reaction score
I want to make some slow tracing soap for swirling right now, and I ran out of olive, all I have on hand for liquid oils :
aprikot kernel
castor
canola

Last time I used canola it dos, swore not to use it ever again and had a full bottle of canola sitting since then. Didn`t have a ROE or vit E at that time, though.

How high I can go on the percentage of aprikot kernel?

Apricot kernel oil is higher in linoleic acid than canola (the fatty acid that contributes to DOS), so I would definitely keep it low enough so that the total linoleic percent for your formula doesn't exceed 15% (this is based on the observance of several soapers who say that as long as the linoleic % doesn't go over 15%, that it helps to keep DOS at bay in their soaps). Of course, it's good to keep in mind that everyone's mileage may vary.

If you are not averse to using tetrasodium EDTA in your soap, it's much more effective than ROE and/or vitamin E at keeping DOS at bay. I Use the EDTA @ .5% of my entire batch weight.

IrishLass :)

I recommend using EDTA in your soap per Irish Lass -- and you can also add 0.5 g ROE per 1000 g of oil. You want to add ROE directly to each bottle of oil when you get the oil, not just added when you soap with it. The ROE will protect against oxidation/rancidity of any fat (either as the oil or in soap) during storage.

Apricot kernel oil is higher in linoleic acid than canola (the fatty acid that contributes to DOS), so I would definitely keep it low enough so that the total linoleic percent for your formula doesn't exceed 15% (this is based on the observance of several soapers who say that as long as the linoleic % doesn't go over 15%, that it helps to keep DOS at bay in their soaps). Of course, it's good to keep in mind that everyone's mileage may vary.

If you are not averse to using tetrasodium EDTA in your soap, it's much more effective than ROE and/or vitamin E at keeping DOS at bay. I Use the EDTA @ .5% of my entire batch weight.

IrishLass :)

This is an eye opener! I didn`t know that linoleic acid was at fault, and always thought Aprikot Kernel is high in antioxidants, I have a lot of it. Thank you so much for such valuable piece of information, i will have to watch my percentage for this acid now.
I dont have EDTA, but it`s going on my next shopping list...

Do you mean the EDTA? If so I add it when I make soap. You can add it to the water before adding lye or you can stick blend it into your fats before you add the lye solution to the fats.

EDTA is not oil soluble so you don't want to add it to your bulk fat to protect the fat during storage, like you can with ROE. If you do that, the EDTA will just separate out from the fat in the storage container and do no good.

I hope I've answered your question!

So, I checked with the oils I had and that`s what I came up with :

29% lye conc
6% sf

20% coconut
20% palm
5% castor
20% aprikot kernel
35% canola

I used 1 oz ppo of white ginger fo & anise fo 50/50

I was doing faux funnel in the round mold with 3 colors:
white, white+pink and bright pink
First round of 3-second pour went well, after that it thickened too much and just started layering, not penetrating. I`m not sure what went wrong...

Was that not a good recipe for a slow trace? I`m having a third bad batch since last night (

P.S. I will post some pictures when I cut it

I`m happy with half of the batch, the rest of it is OK, but not what was in my mind. It kind of looks like camo, especially on the sides. I wonder if I should discount water and see if it traces slower, as I`m reading about some experiments that state water discount actually slows down the trace and gives you more time to work with batter. I`ve been thinking for a long time its other way around, more water - batter more liquid. I`m usually soaping with 30-33% lye solution, depends on recipe.
IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8242.jpg

IMG_8238.jpg

Last edited:
I just checked a soap I have that was made a little over a year ago with canola used at 20%, no Dos. The canola I use is just Costco or Smart & Final's canola oil. I have more dos problems with some lards than canola oil, but have noticed a noticeable slowdown of any dos using Citric Acid at 3% of my oils.

I've used the Costco Canola at 10% many times in the past, and have not seen one bar with DOS some of these bars are 2 years old. I believe the Costco Canola is high oleic, but don't have any on hand to check the label. Even as little as 10% especially with lard made a slower tracing recipe.

Latest posts

Back