Cannabis infused soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
I was watching a story on TV about California beginning a "green state" because of it's marijuana legalization. I started wondering if you could infuse it in soap & if so, were there any benefits. During my Google search, I came across this article: https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/blog/cannabis-infused-soap/
I hope I got the entire link, my phone screen wouldn't let me view any more than that. This article held my interest until I read that "Lye is needed for cleaning strength. It is used to break up the dirt & oils on the skin" and then it gives a recipe for making soap! I stopped reading at that point because I got upset. I went back to see if it warned about the dangers of working with lye, it just says to avoid inhaling or splashing it on your skin and it restates that lye is needed for cleaning your skin. I think this article is dangerous to those who know nothing about soap making because it gives misinformation about lye then encourages the reader with a recipe. I wish there was a way to get misinformation like this off the internet. Any thoughts or opinions?

I'm pretty sure the lye would destroy any of the health benefits of topically-applied cannabis-infused oil. And of course, the fact that soap is a wash-off product that only stays on the skin for about 5 seconds, it'd be a waste of cannabis! Lotions or massage bars would make more sense.

The person who wrote that article clearly has very little soapmaking knowledge, which is unfortunate. The internet is a sea of bad advice, and it seems like soapmaking is particularly susceptible. :(

I agree with toxicon. A balm or lotion would be much more beneficial. They do say to use safety precautions. Unfortunately, we have no control over what others post.

So far, most of the articles that I'm finding on the subject are promoting a company called BudsSuds. I guess they were the first to make/sell cannabis infused soap. There are medical claims made regarding healing skin conditions in almost every article but I don't think cannabis in soap would do any more for a skin condition than neem oil or colloidal oats in a soap would. All I'm finding is hype when I was hoping to find information . I'm sure there's a market for a soap like that but I'm in Michigan & I'm pretty sure I'd be breaking a law or 2 if I tried making/selling it. I was just wondering if it'd help my winter eczema.

So far, most of the articles that I'm finding on the subject are promoting a company called BudsSuds. I guess they were the first to make/sell cannabis infused soap. There are medical claims made regarding healing skin conditions in almost every article but I don't think cannabis in soap would do any more for a skin condition than neem oil or colloidal oats in a soap would. All I'm finding is hype when I was hoping to find information . I'm sure there's a market for a soap like that but I'm in Michigan & I'm pretty sure I'd be breaking a law or 2 if I tried making/selling it. I was just wondering if it'd help my winter eczema.

Most people are under the misimpression that the health benefits of most additives will survive the lye and somehow benefit them during the 5 seconds the soap touches their skin.

Tons of people buy coconut oil soap because they heard about the nourishing health benefits that coconut oil has. When in reality, the effects of coconut oil in soap is completely different than when its applied topically.

The placebo effect can be very strong. :mrgreen:

It will do nothing for the soap, but it will retain some of the cannabis scent. If you are going to make some either make cannabis butter or heavily infuse the oil. I would recommend just using shake and not the better stuff. I would question Budsuds being the first to make it. I made it before 2014 for a shop where it sold well. As I have mentioned before, there is not much I have not made when it comes to soap. Bathing with it just does not do anything. Using it in a balm it can be beneficial to some especially if it is made with menthol, peppermint etc

Thanks for posting, what a weird way to describe lye. :confused:

I agree, it seems like it would not do much in soap, but could be really interesting in leave on products. I found a bunch of cool articles that describe topical application of cannabis to reduce pain/inflammation and to reduce oral opioid requirement.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4851925/ Rat model, transdermal application reduced joint swelling associated with arthritis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28818631 Case report with 3 patients with pyoderma gangrenosum who required less opioids while receiving topical cannabis/subflower oil treatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3728280/ Review article, says cannabis is cool.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/ Another review article on recent randomized control trials using topical cannabis derived compounds.

Sorry for the aside, but I thought this was pretty cool!

Don't forget the placebo effect AND the power of suggestion. Not that I prescribe to misinforming consumers, but sometimes a person truly believes 'x' ingredient helps with whatever application for which they are seeking solution.

As you don't make false claims and treat the product as a novelty and not as a therapeutic tool, it's okay. Maybe I would go so far as to include a disclaimer indicating there is no actual benefit derived from the soap other than to get the user clean.

The cannabis leaf soap I am making for my brother is something of a novelty specifically for him because he used to be a grower and will enjoy it. He already has what he needs for therapeutic purposes and has no expectations that soap will do anything other than clean.

Don't forget the placebo effect AND the power of suggestion. Not that I prescribe to misinforming consumers, but sometimes a person truly believes 'x' ingredient helps with whatever application for which they are seeking solution.

As you don't make false claims and treat the product as a novelty and not as a therapeutic tool, it's okay. Maybe I would go so far as to include a disclaimer indicating there is no actual benefit derived from the soap other than to get the user clean.

The cannabis leaf soap I am making for my brother is something of a novelty specifically for him because he used to be a grower and will enjoy it. He already has what he needs for therapeutic purposes and has no expectations that soap will do anything other than clean.

Hi, yes, very important points! In the case report I shared, I'm sure placebo is playing a role. The randomized controlled trials, however, are designed to account for placebo effect.

I agree with you that any cannabis products have to be very careful in their claims or else be considered a therapeutic product and require a higher level of scrutiny and regulation.

I just thought that research was incredibly cool because I did not know topical cannabis had any effect and I thought I would share it!

Thanks for the links Elurah! I love learning new things! I don't sell yet but I think it would be nice if I could get a wholesale account with a smoke shop for novelty hemp/cannabis soaps.

I make a cannabis balm with arnica, menthol and peppermint for a friend who had a work injury and on disability. He swears by it stating it relieves the pains and spasms in his legs. I only make it for him as it could be a legal issue. He has a green card, I don’t. Can’t legally sell it here. Plus infusing it makes the whole house smell like a pot farm.

Thanks for the links Elurah! I love learning new things! I don't sell yet but I think it would be nice if I could get a wholesale account with a smoke shop for novelty hemp/cannabis soaps.
Just remember under Federal it is still illegal. The clinic that used to purchase some of my soaps and balms was busted by Feds during the last round of States legalizing bud. Just don't trust them to not do it again so I will not make any products for any shops anymore.

Just remember under Federal it is still illegal. The clinic that used to purchase some of my soaps and balms was busted by Feds during the last round of States legalizing bud. Just don't trust them to not do it again so I will not make any products for any shops anymore.

Was it a smoke shop or pot shop? I couldn't imagine a shop that sells pot, pipes and cannabis foods would get busted for soap.
If I lived in a green state, I would try to sell to the pot shops. There are a ton of them one state over and they do a lot of business.

They are not busted for soap. They are busted for selling a substance that violates federal law. In the US, the stricter federal law trumps a less restrictive state law in most cases. It is based on the Supremacy Clause of the US Constitution, and has been upheld by the US Supreme Court numerous times. Basically, the states can write whatever laws they like, but they are subordinate to Federal Law and should the Feds choose to, they can and do prosecute for violations of federal law. If a shop is found in violation, of course they are required to turn over all their records and the vendors from whom they buy any product they re-sell would then be under scrutiny. So I can certainly understand not choosing to sell to any form of medicinal pot house. The risk will always be there as long as the federal law remains.

When I was a nurse, one of my jobs required me to learn the laws pertaining to client care in our hospital and ensuring the staff followed the most stringent of the various regulations (state, federal and accreditation agencies). In some cases, state laws were more stringent and we had to follow them; in some cases federal laws were more stringent. We could not pick and choose to ignore a more stringent federal regulation when the state or accreditation agency was more lenient, otherwise we would be in jeopardy of being fined or worse.

They are not busted for soap. They are busted for selling a substance that violates federal law. In the US, the stricter federal law trumps a less restrictive state law in most cases. It is based on the Supremacy Clause of the US Constitution, and has been upheld by the US Supreme Court numerous times. Basically, the states can write whatever laws they like, but they are subordinate to Federal Law and should the Feds choose to, they can and do prosecute for violations of federal law. If a shop is found in violation, of course they are required to turn over all their records and the vendors from whom they buy any product they re-sell would then be under scrutiny. So I can certainly understand not choosing to sell to any form of medicinal pot house. The risk will always be there as long as the federal law remains.

When I was a nurse, one of my jobs required me to learn the laws pertaining to client care in our hospital and ensuring the staff followed the most stringent of the various regulations (state, federal and accreditation agencies). In some cases, state laws were more stringent and we had to follow them; in some cases federal laws were more stringent. We could not pick and choose to ignore a more stringent federal regulation when the state or accreditation agency was more lenient, otherwise we would be in jeopardy of being fined or worse.
I did not say they were busted for selling soap. The feds came in a busted several medical pot houses in our area which lead to the cities disallowing them. All were shut down. We had a vendor friend who has a son that was prosecuted and sent to jail for 5 yrs when they shut down his medical supply shop. He had all the state and city required permits, but was caught up in the beginning of the busts. Feds do not play nice and it just is not legal until they legalize it. I was just warning anyone wanting to wholesale products to a bud shop think twice.

Feds do not play nice and it just is not legal until they legalize it. I was just warning anyone wanting to wholesale products to a bud shop think twice.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the warning cmzaha. Maybe I'll just try making hemp oil soap & leave the cannabis oil idea alone.

Its easy to forget about the feds when you see legalized pot everywhere, thanks for the reminder. I wish they would just legalize the stuff, it would be a huge revenue for the government and take some of the strain off the prison system.

Back