CandleScience.com having a sample sale!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleine Teufel

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, but had to share! Candlescience.com is having a sample sale, where all 1oz bottles are $0.99! :D

My cart is at $35.64. I'm trying to downsize, but every time I go back to the main list to find certain ones to look at reviews in an attempt to remove a scent, I end up adding another one!!! I wonder how often they have these sales?!

Seems like twice a year. I think they had one late summer/early fall. Shop on! They do have some really nice FOs for soap.

yep, i just bought f/o's + shipping which was $38.15 and then went back and thought to myself:

wait a minute.............I just bought tons of f/o's that are formulated for candles not soap :?

what was I thinking? I'm not a chandler, I'm a soapmaker!

that was sneeky temptress!

anyway, I went back and cancelled before they decided to ship my package! :oops:

You should check the rating. Out of about 35 or 36 fragrances I had picked, only one was candles only. That's what I love about CS, I can pick one fragrance for my entire line of products (soap, soy candles and B&B).

ETA: When you click on a fragrance, look under the picture for that fragrance... It will have their leaf rating (that's the rating for soy wax candles), directly under that, it will tell you what it can be used in... Candles only or Candles & Bath/Body. Then it gives the flash point. Unfortunately the site does not list any reactions in CP soap. I just play it safe and add the fragrance and GM right off the bat when I add the lye to the oils, to prevent any possible issues with ricing/acceleration.

My fiance is my worst enabler. After I got my first shipment of 25+ FO's he told me I should go back and get more to stock up! LOL Good grief he's terrible!!!

Candle Science

I have never tried any of Candle Science's scents for soap. Can anyone recommend any tried and true scents in CP soap from them?

You should check the rating. Out of about 35 or 36 fragrances I had picked, only one was candles only. That's what I love about CS, I can pick one fragrance for my entire line of products (soap, soy candles and B&B).

r u serious? You can really use the f/o's in soap too? I use the hot process method for all of my soaps. do u think it would work for them?

thanks

Thanks for posting this! I bought 9 and got one free and shipping was only $7!!!! AWESOME!

Re: Candle Science

craftgirl08 said:
I have never tried any of Candle Science's scents for soap. Can anyone recommend any tried and true scents in CP soap from them?

Sure, I'll tell you what has worked for me.

Love Spell- soaps like a dream, actually slowed down trace, easy for swirling. Smells a tiny bit better than Peak's out of the bottle (OOB), but after curing they both smelled same. Fragrance stuck well with no discoloration.

Basil & Herb- very unique, refreshing smell. Must like basil :) Be really, really ready when you soap this and don't swirl. Accelerated like crazy, but able to pour quickly into mold without separation. Love it after the cure. No discoloration noted. Nice FO for a gardener's bar.

Honeycomb- Must admit I didn't really like this one OOB. However, it bloomed in the soap into a nice floral honey smell. There is an undertone note that I can't describe, but I think I may like it better than Peak's Wild Mtn Honey (which i really like). My son smelled it and said, "Smells like honey". Discolored to light tan, but I did add honey which darkened it up. It only a few days old, so I can't comment on sticking power.

Sage & Pomegranate- I think this was CS. Soaped fine. Not my favorite scent, but my co-workers thought it smelled good. Seems to be sticking.

Lavender- I like this lavender as an EO substitute, but it is a little medicinal smelling, not a real florally lavender. Peak's lavender is a little more sweet smelling, but I find this one truer to the EO. Soaped easily, no discoloration.

I have a ton more that I haven't soaped. I've probably left something out. Hope this helps.

Oh this is bad. Very very bad. On the other hand, I just bit the bullet and bought my first wood mold to try CP, and so of course, I will need different fragrances to test in my 2lb mold :D I'm already at 35 :lol:

I've done:
Clean Cotton - no discoloration (pure white bar with pure coconut oil), but it definately speeds trace and of course, it heats like a sinner! Use caution with this one so you don't overheat your soap.

Lavender - I don't think this one changed the trace at all. No discoloration either. I was never a fan of lavender, but I like this one. VERY strong, I only use about half of this as I would of other fragrance oils.

Lilac - Speeds trace and causes ricing if you're not careful. It traces so quickly in fact, that in a partial traced soap, if you add your 30ml all in one spot, you'll have a clump of soap right there, without possibility of getting it to mix properly... My next batch, I plan to add it right after my lye and goatmilk, all in one go, no trace.

Cucumber Melon - Works just fine, no trace, no discoloration, no overheating.

Very Vanilla - like an old lip gloss I had as a teen, that fake vanilla icing scent. I LOVE IT! I can't remember if I used this in my soap or just the vanilla from BB though, so I can't give a CP soap review. Guaranteed to turn it a chocolate brown though, lol.

Baby Powder - another one I haven't used in soap, but I have to say, it smells just like baby powder. Nice and strong scent, but not a nauseating scent.

Coconut - Turns tan color, no overheating or accelerated trace.

I also have Pine Cones (smells really good, like the real thing), Diane's Carnation (very light, easy scent), Mulberry smells devine, Dragon's Blood smells pretty good (in a hippie kinda way) and Fresh Coffee smells spot on. Basically, anything that has a specific "thing" (coffee, baby powder, lilac, etc) all smell exactly like it should. I'm dying to put another order in, but waiting until the last day of the sale, so that I'm positively sure which ones I want to order. :)

OH OH OH How hideous of her. I am on it now HAHAHAH. I am getting spiced pear and some others. Thanks for the review of scents and how they act.

What I got.

Love Spell 1 oz. 20304 2.00 1.98
Sample Fragrance Discount 99987 1.00 -0.99
Violet Lime 1 oz. 20332 1.00 0.99
Honeycomb 1 oz. 20959 2.00 1.98
Cotton Candy 1 oz. 20260 2.00 1.98
Honeydew Melon 1 oz. 20080 2.00 1.98
Chardonnay 1 oz. 20288 2.00 1.98
Brandied Pear 1 oz. 20481 2.00 1.98
Creme Brulee 1 oz. 20208 2.00 1.98
Jamaica Me Crazy 1 oz. 20941 2.00 1.98
Fruit Slices 1 oz. 20029 2.00 1.98
Eject-It Mold Release 12oz. 70008 1.00 8.99

I ordered 2 of the ones I like because if I like them .99 is awesome. This way I save on shipping if it is something good. I did learn of a tip for fragrance oils which misbehave. I may try it with these.

A better idea would be to get a few from this sale, then we can all share and compare our CP soap results with the different fragrances. With the sale, and the various members of SMF, we could compile an entire database of CS's fragrances and how they behave in our CP soap... Hint, hint. :D

Oh, and just in case you missed it, the sale ends tonight at midnight, EST.

I have soaped Cool Citrus Basil, Amber and Oakmoss, and Beach Linen with excellent results. All three were cold process, but I think they would work just fine in hot process too. If using in hp, pay attention to the flashpoints of the fo. Wait until the soap cools down below the flashpoint temperature before adding to prevent the evaporation of the fo.
*Cool Citrus Basil--mild acceleration, light tan discoloration, no ricing or any other issues. Very nice unisex scent.
*Amber and Oakmoss--no acceleration, my soap turned light orange (like amber color) and no ricing. The scent is awesome-one of my faves.
*Beach Linen--moderate acceleration (I soaped cool), discolored to dark brown (which is weird because I cannot detect any vanilla scent to the fo at all), no ricing. Smells good and clean with floral base notes. The smell really sticks on your skin long after bath or shower.
I have bottles of Lavender, Sex on the Beach, and Pine Cones which I have not soaped yet...but I have grand plans for these babies! Hope I like them as much as the others I have tried. :)

im game we should keep a file or thread like a sticky with fragrance notes on Natures garden. Since this sale went on we can do it. If everyone is in agree ment.

I decided to go ahead and re-order after hearing everyone's opinions! here is the list of F/O's I ordered:

Honeysuckle Jasmine
Kiwi
Gardenia
Peach
Cucumber Mint
Violet Lime
Lavender
Clean Cotton
Watermelon
Coconut Lime
English Garden
Bird of Paradise
Egyptian Amber
Juniper Breeze

Report to come soon.................(I will probably hot process them)

Back