Candles not giving off sent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovecandles

Reaction score
Hi, im a newbe when it comes to making candles. Im using soy wax and those little round yankee sented wax blocks. After melting the soy wax in a double boiler I then add the yankee sented wax, stiring until melted, then I pour into the jar. Let sit overnight, my first test lighting the candle was one of shock when I relized no sent was coming from the candle, non at all, even after being lit for many hours. Iv been told I should use sented oils instead, also I would like to add I did not take a Temperature measurement before adding the yankee sented wax, so Im not sure what the problem could be, the use of the yankee sented wax?, the soy wax?, not adding the sented wax at the correct tempature? or all of the above?

You need to cure candles before lighting them. Soy wax a minimum of 5 days, but would be better left a week, so that the scent and wax bind. I would use a fragrant oil from candle suppliers and add to the wax and make sure you thoroughly stir it in. Add the FO just before the pouring temp of 75C.

We don't have scented wax blocks here, so can't advise you on those. I buy coloured wax blocks to add in the colour to the candle.

Agree with Relle completely - if you are adding YC wax blocks to soy wax the percentage of fragrance will be tiny and is unlikley to produce much scent. If you want to create candles you should use made-for-candles fragrances or use essential oils. You also need to check you are using the correct wick size for the size of container.

Just to add, YC are made with a paraffin wax blend so depending on the percentage of YC block to soy wax, it may affect which wick you should choose as some are more suitable for soy and some for paraffin.

You need to cure candles before lighting them. Soy wax a minimum of 5 days, but would be better left a week, so that the scent and wax bind. I would use a fragrant oil from candle suppliers and add to the wax and make sure you thoroughly stir it in. Add the FO just before the pouring temp of 75C.

We don't have scented wax blocks here, so can't advise you on those. I buy coloured wax blocks to add in the colour to the candle.

Thanks your reply, if I use paraffin wax would I still have to wait a week to cure them? Or does that apply for all types of wax?

You need to get a book and study how to make these. The wick, FO and Wax all have different 'attitudes' and you have to get the correct mix of them all to have a good scent throw.
I do not make candles for this reason. It is not easy.
There are tons of books at maybe Libraries or on line. Plus there are a ton of websites to learn it all... videos too :)

You need to get a book and study how to make these. The wick, FO and Wax all have different 'attitudes' and you have to get the correct mix of them all to have a good scent throw.
I do not make candles for this reason. It is not easy.
There are tons of books at maybe Libraries or on line. Plus there are a ton of websites to learn it all... videos too :)

many videos on YT, but sometimes they dont go into detail. I think ill try again with the oil next time, and let the candle set for longer, just keep experimenting, iv got a bunch of wax id might as well keep trying

Thanks your reply, if I use paraffin wax would I still have to wait a week to cure them? Or does that apply for all types of wax?

Whatever wax you use, you still need to cure it. Make it and forget it for while.

Hi ILOVECANDLES :) I do too!! Yes, to make candles you need to use oils that are actually made for candles. Using something like the wax block is like diluting the scent about 20X. So it isn't surprising that you get no scent. Not to mention that it was probably more expensive then buying actual candle scent. And while there are all different grades of scent on the market any of them will give better results. And yes, there is a ton of learning if you want to make professional quality candles but trial and error is your best teacher. And you get to enjoy your progress. :)

Latest posts

Back