Candles not burning well

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjskier

Reaction score
Last year a made a bunch of candles from recycled parafin candle wax(purcashed in bulk on etsy). However the candles don't burn very well. The flame is small and seems to drown itself. I used a basic wick from hobby loby. Was the wick not wide enough? Not burning hot enough? The candles were roughly 3 inches wide. I didn't use any scent, I've read that can effect the burn, but not the case for me.

Thanks for any help!
Btw a timely response would be great. I'm trying to make candles for baby shower gifts. The shower is next week. I realize this is mostly a soap forum. If anyone can recommend a better place to ask for help, that would be great too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know from a candle maker friend that wick size is something that must be adjusted for containers and it takes a long time to find the "right" one. I don't make candles (only melts) so I haven't had to worry about wick sizes. I would ask around on FB if you can't get an answer here though. I think it's going to be something you have to test out for yourself.

ETA: I know there are a few chandlers here so they might chime in. You may want to take the time to introduce yourself to the forum (in the introduction section) though, before you start requesting information. It's just for forum etiquette sake and a friendly gesture!

Last edited:
Btw a timely response would be great. I'm trying to make candles for baby shower gifts. The shower is next week. I realize this is mostly a soap forum. If anyone can recommend a better place to ask for help, that would be great too.

You posted your first post at 10.54am and then another post at 12.14pm with a timely response would be great. You haven't even introduced yourself and are now, wanting a timely response, after only 1 1/4 hours from the first post. A little etiquette, goes a long way to get what you want. Not sure that you will get it.

Hi cjskier and welcome! :wave:

I don't know anything about recycled paraffin; I've only used soy wax. But if you're having a problem with a small burn pool and the flame going out, I'd say it's your wick size or type. Do you know the size and type you got from Hobby Lobby and are they rated for paraffin? I highly suggest you go to Peak Candle Supply's web site and read the tutorials there. They have all the info on the type of wick that works best for each type of wax, plus the size needed for the diameter of the container. Look down the left side of the page for "Candle Making Basics" and "Candle Making Info". Good luck!

http://www.peakcandle.com/default.aspx

The candle page on this forum isn't very busy, but reading what you wrote I believe that your wick is your issue. The problem with reclaimed wax is unless you reclaim it yourself you don't have a clue what kind of wax it is, how high or low the melt point is, how much fragrance it holds, how it takes color etc. Not without a lot of experimenting. Are you making container candles or pillars or votives? Wicks from Hobby Lobby are generic, just listed with "small, medium, large" and so very little information comes with them. Your best bet is to get a good tester packet of sample wicks, I would try the LX series first, it works great for me in paraffin and parasoy pillars and container parasoy and is a good testing start point.

Making a safe burning candle in a week for gifts isn't a good idea when you don't know what kind of wax and wick you are using, candle testing takes time to make and test for good burning candles, clean burning candles and safe burning candles.

Its very bad that you got bad candles from Etsy, Etsy one of the best seller in the world, sometimes it happens.

Latest posts

Back