Candles for Personal Use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I would like to make some candles for home and my desk at work.

I know nothing about candle making beyond the kit my parents bought me for Christmas back in the late 60s.

As a CP soap maker I have a lot of FOs and Micas...may I assume that I can use these in candles?

What kind of wax should I buy? I have quite a bit of beeswax, but I'm thinking that's a bit spendy for some casual candles.

Found a 'starter kit' on Amazon...6-6 oz tins, dozen wicks, stickers and center devices. I also have some small glass jars (3.5 to 6 oz) from previous candles I've saved.

Again, this is strictly for personal use, but want to do it right. Would like to purchase on Amazon as I have Prime. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I like soy wax container candles. Make sure that the FOs are suitable for candle use and the type of wax you are using. Many Crafter's Choice FOs can be used in candles as well as soap.

As a CP soap maker I have a lot of FOs and Micas...may I assume that I can use these in candles?
Yes, they can, however depending on the wax you are using may not have a strong throw. Soy is incredibly hard to get a throw in candles unless you use up to 10% FO ppw.
What kind of wax should I buy?
That is personal preference. No one wax is better than another (regardless of what the marketers will tell you) and no one wax will burn "cleaner" than another, it's just that paraffin wax has dark soot where as "natural"(HA) waxes have light soot.
I personally like paraffin and palm waxes the best. They are better for my bottom line, use less additives than soy, burn just as clean as soy, are less expensive to produce than soy wax, and use less scent to get a great throw in.

Pretty much any scent you can use in soap can be used in candles. And there are even more scents that can be used in candles, than soap, because the scents that are not skin safe can be used in candles. Really the only restrictions you have in scents for candles is you never want to use water based scents.

I think Amazon pretty much sticks to soy wax in their kits and such, but I find even with Prime (which I also have) it's just as inexpensive to buy from either LoneStar in TX, or Candle Science (they have 2 locations, one in NV, and I can't remember where the other one is), or Candles and Supplies in PA.

Even for personal use you will want to make sure you are using the right wick/size for the size candle you are making. Candle Science has a great starting point with suggestions for wick type, and size for the size candle you are making, however I always tend to find that their suggestions can be off by a size or so, and are usually a bit too big.
The size wick will depend on many factors - wax used, fragrance, amount of fragrance, colorant if used, or how much used, and size of container.

I know this is a lot of information thrown out at you, but when it comes to candles, I found it was much harder to master a perfect candle than a perfect batch of soap, and it is my true love (been making them since 1997) and a lot has changed since then, but a lot has remained the same.

I constantly see bad information given out as advice on every forum I go to when it comes to candle making. People think it's an easy craft, but it's not.

Let me know what you decide to go with, and I will help where I can. :)

Last edited:
Well, no. Micas won't work for candles, unless they are made for candles. They usually just clog the wick. Dyes meant for candles are the only thing that should be used for candles. Usually candle dye can't be used for other things so if you haven't made candles recently you won't have anything on hand that will work. I recommend you start out not worrying about coloring them at all because that is one more variable that will affect your wick size. Once you've made a few candles and test burned them, and figured out how to determine your wick size, then you can add in color.

Regarding fragrances, I think candle making is a nice hobby for soapmakers because if you find a fragrance you loooove but is a nightmare to soap with, you can use it in candles instead and still get to enjoy it. Some are still better than others but most work at least reasonably well. One from WSP (Goat Milk and Honey) is amaaaaaazing in candles. The best hot and cold throw I've ever encountered in a candle fragrance. Too bad it misbehaves in CP, according to customer reviews. I'm going to try it in HP and see how it does but for now I have about a million Goat Milk and Honey candles just for personal use, lol.

Well, no. Micas won't work for candles, unless they are made for candles.
I have found that micas do in fact work great in candles (and yeah, I'm talking the ones from soap suppliers - I've actually never seen any specifically made for candles) and unless you are putting more than a tablespoon or so of mica in a lb of wax it doesn't clog most wicks. What I do find however, is that when burning the candles, the mica will settle to the bottom of the melt pool, and then you have uncolored wax once it's solidified with a solid ring of color where the mica has settled.

LOL everyone...a lot of information, some terms I think I understand, the rest have gone over my head.

This is the kit I bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XRY5ZTF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 About as basic as one can get I imagine, thought they were pretty and they have a lid. And they look reusable.

Color is not important. Since they are for personal use, if I can't use what I already have, I'm not going to spend to buy special colorants for them.

I do have a few FOs that are gathering dust because they are a PITA to work with in CP soap.

So....which wax is okay:

Wax1 - https://www.amazon.com/American-Soy...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Wax 2 - https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Craft...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Ugh, that's hard to say but ultimately I'd go with Wax 1.

Wax 2 provides no information about the type of soy they're selling. If you do well with it and decide to continue making candles, you may have an issue finding the same wax somewhere else.

Wax 1 is a reputable company and I've purchased from them a few times. They have a loyal customer base. American Soy also sells FO's and color chips if that interests you.

For the FO's you have on hand at home, I'd go to the manufacturer's website to see how the oils perform in soy. CandleScience has a specific rating for soy on each fragrance page. Not all FO's do well in soy and personally, I've always had a hard time getting a good hot throw no matter the rating.

I wish you the best of luck!

I have found that micas do in fact work great in candles (and yeah, I'm talking the ones from soap suppliers - I've actually never seen any specifically made for candles) and unless you are putting more than a tablespoon or so of mica in a lb of wax it doesn't clog most wicks. What I do find however, is that when burning the candles, the mica will settle to the bottom of the melt pool, and then you have uncolored wax once it's solidified with a solid ring of color where the mica has settled.
I was worried about the settling, too. How do you pour cool enough to suspend the mica when you make the candle, and still pour hot enough that the top is smooth? I think that's the part I don't understand.
And all the candle making instructions I've seen that mention mica at all, say that it clogs wicks so I've never even tried it. I see it in melts and tarts which makes sense, but not in wick candles. Maybe it's different in paraffin, which I haven't used in a long, long time.

LOL everyone...a lot of information, some terms I think I understand, the rest have gone over my head.

This is the kit I bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XRY5ZTF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 About as basic as one can get I imagine, thought they were pretty and they have a lid. And they look reusable.

Color is not important. Since they are for personal use, if I can't use what I already have, I'm not going to spend to buy special colorants for them.

I do have a few FOs that are gathering dust because they are a PITA to work with in CP soap.

So....which wax is okay:

Wax1 - https://www.amazon.com/American-Soy-Organics-Freedom-Candle/dp/B07WRDQ373/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Candle+Making+Wax&qid=1616681164&refinements=p_85:2470955011,p_72:2638180011&rnid=2638179011&rps=1&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-1-spons&ts_id=262602011&psc=1&smid=AEQKWMLOHTSTS&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPU1EwV1ZXWUZLNVAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMzk0OTQxU1k1NEVCU0pXSTdaJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMjg0NjQxUklRQUhFS0ZMMkpGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Wax 2 - https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Crafts-Candle-Making-All-Natural/dp/B07DK8W2YM/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Candle+Making+Wax&qid=1616681313&refinements=p_85:2470955011,p_72:2638180011&rnid=2638179011&rps=1&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-3-spons&ts_id=262602011&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExU09NQjUxMTNXR0YyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjg1MzMxM0lBTDhPMkxLUVI1NSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjM0Mzg4Mk5BUEE1QTVGSjFMOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
The metal tins look good. Metal is reusable. If you keep reusing glass, you risk shattering it. I have reused glass before (a few times) and so far haven't broken anything, but I've heard of it happening. Just something to be aware of.
The wicks that come with that kit may or may not be good. There is no one-size-fits-all wick, you will want to try a few to see what works with your container, wax, and fragrance combination. Buying wicks on Amazon is hit or miss, so I'd get them from a reputable candle making supplier.

Trust me, if you want good hot throw, you want this wax: https://www.amazon.com/PA-Wax-Distr...child=1&keywords=gw+464&qid=1616683003&sr=8-2

It is a very popular wax for soy candles. It will probably give you better scent throw than the ones you linked to. I have had good success with it, once I figured out that the people who say to pour as cool as possible don't know what they're doing. I only ever got really messed up tops that way.

So....which wax is okay:
Sorry, can't help you there. I don't' work with soy.

Not all FO's do well in soy and personally, I've always had a hard time getting a good hot throw no matter the rating.
One of the main reasons I don't use soy.

How do you pour cool enough to suspend the mica when you make the candle, and still pour hot enough that the top is smooth?
I only use mica with paraffin container candles, so always get smooth tops. If it's a little bumpy, a quick pass with the heat gun fixes it.
I don't use mica very often though, and only for personal use.
I've seen that mention mica at all, say that it clogs wicks
It will clog cotton core, and hemp wicks, but cd's, cdn's and my zincs, I've never had a problem with. I only use cotton core and hemp wicks with my pillars, and wouldn't use mica in a pillar.
Maybe it's different in paraffin, which I haven't used in a long, long time.
Paraffin and Palm are the only waxes I use.
I HATE soy wax. HATE IT and will not use it. To be perfectly honest, I don't understand the fascination with it.
It's hard to work with, hard to scent, doesn't look all that great, and is NO BETTER than any other wax.

Back