Candles burning unevenly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClicksNwicks

Reaction score
Help! My candles are burning unevenly. The wicks are centered. I have several different size wicks testing in the same size jar, and all other variables are the same, but they're all doing this.

Also, I'm getting little speckles of wax on the inside of the glass jars. They are small jars, 3 inches across and maybe 2 1/2 inches at the opening. They are burned more than halfway through but the speckles are still there.

They have been flickering more often than not.

I am wondering if all of this might be because of drafts? I have been trying to troubleshoot but no other possible issue I've come across makes sense. I would like to test and see if it is being caused by drafts, but I don't know how to protect them. It's a small, drafty house.

Any advice on how to keep them out of drafts? Any other ideas as to what might be causing my problems?

Thank you in advance!

Help! My candles are burning unevenly. The wicks are centered. I have several different size wicks testing in the same size jar, and all other variables are the same, but they're all doing this.
How do you mean burning uneven? Are they burning at different rates, or are they burning down one side more than the other. What wax/wick series are you using for each container? Can't diagnose much without knowing those variables.

Also, I'm getting little speckles of wax on the inside of the glass jars. They are small jars, 3 inches across and maybe 2 1/2 inches at the opening. They are burned more than halfway through but the speckles are still there.
Sounds like wet spots. Very normal in container candles. A picture would be helpful though to make sure that's what it is.

They have been flickering more often than not.
Are you burning in a draft? Also you said they are more than half burned, the further down the container burns, the more airflow that is contained within the jar, so this will happen. Also happens when the wick is too big. Another instance that a pic would be helpful.

I am wondering if all of this might be because of drafts? I have been trying to troubleshoot but no other possible issue I've come across makes sense. I would like to test and see if it is being caused by drafts, but I don't know how to protect them. It's a small, drafty house.
If it's a small drafty house, there probably is no cure, and you will just have to test for that variable.

Is it necessory to use some candle tools when we use the candle? Like wick trimmer, candle snuffer and wick dipper? Kindly advice! Thanks!

Is it necessory to use some candle tools when we use the candle? Like wick trimmer, candle snuffer and wick dipper? Kindly advice! Thanks!
Not necessarily. I mean it's always good to trim the wick, but you don't need an actual wick trimmer to do it (I use nail clippers designated as my wick trimmers), but I never use a candle snuffer or a wick dipper. I just blow the flame out. Some people love using the wick snuffers and dippers, but I've never felt a true need for them.

Not necessarily. I mean it's always good to trim the wick, but you don't need an actual wick trimmer to do it (I use nail clippers designated as my wick trimmers), but I never use a candle snuffer or a wick dipper. I just blow the flame out. Some people love using the wick snuffers and dippers, but I've never felt a true need for them.
Oh, nail clipper, i never thought about it before. Thanks!

Specific tools are one of those nice but not necessary things. Wick trimmers can be very helpful if they are very sharp and curved to get down into deep candles. You can also use a scissors or nail clippers as stated. The other nice thing about some wick trimmers is that they have a wick catcher too. That way your chopped off wick can be put in the trash instead of in your candle.

I personally would never use a candle snuffer. I actually refuse to sell them. They put the candle out by depriving it of oxygen which causes a lot of soot (for a short time). My favorite way to put out a candle is to dip it. Dippers are nice so that you don't get wax all over everything. When you dip and reset the wick you are eliminating the ending soot AND priming for re-lighting. By giving the wick more fuel to begin the next burn you have a shorter "upflare" time at the beginning. (less soot)

Latest posts

Back