Candle mold release in soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post since diving into the soap making process, so forgive me if this is a repeat question.
Before starting into soap making I was making candles with wax from my beehives and always used a mold release spray to help the candle pop right out of the mold. I ordered a soap mold and I am curious if that could be used to help release the soap from the mold.
I absolutely love all the info here, so thanks in advance.

I have never had any trouble getting my soaps out of their molds, except when I was first experimenting with rebatching and added WAY too much water to the rebatch I had bought. I have read that you do not want to use any type of oil because the lye in the raw soap will actually saponify it and make it adhere even more to the mold. I have also heard that some folks use a little bit of mineral oil since it cannot be saponified. I feel sure others will chime in soon and verify if that's correct or not. Personally I use mostly silicon molds because I am lazy and do not want to mess with lining wooden ones or other types. If my soap does not want to release the next day, I will give it another day or two until it comes out. :)

Welcome! :) Watch out for the addiction to grab you now!

Thanks Dharlee. Never thought of that, that the lye would grab on to the lye and make it worst. I think I will be going to plastic or silicone real soon. Thanks for your input. I can definitely see how this could be addictive. Don't know if I could ever sell any but that would help:)

If you have a plastic mold with a lot detail, the soap can be a pain to remove. In a case like that, you would use a little mineral oil to lightly greasy the mold with since it won't saponify. Those HDPE no line molds are know for sticking really bad, they are a prime candidate for a little grease.

You can also use petroleum jelly to "grease up" your molds. Be sure that the candle release is safe to use with skin products.

Back